This position leads a team of direct and indirect reports that is responsible for all aspects of international logistics, transportation, contract negotiation, procurement and U.S. Customs compliance for Guitar Center Stores, Musician's Friend and the Music & Arts business. This role also has responsibility for leading service and cost optimization projects as well as driving systemic improvements. The scope of this position includes accountability for managing the enterprise's small parcel operation and contract negotiations.
Duties and Responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to the following:
* Manage all aspects of inbound and outbound international logistics pertaining to: selection of mode which balances cost and service requirements; ensuring the uninterrupted flow of both imported and exported gear; driving container optimization/consolidation efforts.
* Responsible for negotiation and procurement of contracts: ocean carrier RFP, freight forwarding and U.S. Customs brokerage.
* Manage logistics budget, partner with accounting department on: month-end close, forecasting and invoice approval.
* Educate internal business partners on the costs and complexities of international shipments. Provide and develop internal and third party operating procedures.
* Lead international compliance efforts including: maintain Tier II C-TPAT validation status, ensure the accuracy and timeliness of all Customs entries and ISF filings, coordinate Customs audits and maintain files and records in accordance with regulations and internal standards.
* Implement department workflow processes and process improvements; use appropriate metrics and data to monitor and improve processes/practices.
* Define and articulate clear roles and direction for the compliance and transportation teams that is consistent with the organization's vision, strategy and direction.
* Direct small parcel initiatives to improve cost and service for both internal and external customers: negotiate favorable provider contract rates and terms, mine data and uncover opportunities to reduce costs and counsel internal business partners on the most efficient use of small parcel services.
Skills and Abilities
* Strong interpersonal skills
* Ability to communicate with all levels of management in a professional manner
* Multi-task day to day operations along with long term supply chain strategy projects -- prioritize effectively and manage deadlines
* Strong problem solving and analytical skills
* Highly organized and capable of independent work with a high degree of accuracy
* Intermediate or better proficiency with current computer software (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook)
* Demonstrated ability to lead a team, cooperatively, and successfully while dealing with diverse individuals at all levels of the organization
Guitar Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides fair and equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status or any other protected status prohibited under Federal, State, or local laws. All employment decisions are based on valid job-related requirements.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and are unable or limited in your ability to use of access our website, you may request a reasonable accommodation by sending an email to email@example.com.
* Bachelor's degree with focus in Business Administration, Logistics, or Supply Chain
* 10 or more years of relevant work experience
* 6 or more years of managerial experience
* 7 years of import compliance and transportation experience
* Skilled knowledge of import/export regulations and Other Government Agencies (FCC, FDA, Aphis, Fish & Wildlife) as well as import documentation including classifications, protests, disclosures and rulings.
* Exceptional command of written and spoken English language
* Some travel required
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled