This position is responsible for leading the International Trade and Investment Department, focused on attracting increased foreign direct investment (FDI) to grow the New Jersey economy and meet the EDA’s strategic goals and objectives as well as play a key role in meeting the State’s overall international strategy. Key areas of focus include the development of policies and programs to drive increased FDI to the state, be the state’s diplomatic business liaison, strengthen the state’s outreach to the diplomatic and international business community, and partner in the coordination of governor-led trade missions overseas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy and Vision
- Provide recommendations on policy and program activity and initiatives;
- Contribute to the development of EDA’s strategic goals and objectives, Represent the EDA externally, as required, particularly in international initiatives.
- Based on the priorities of the Murphy Administration, collaborate with Governor’s Office and Choose NJ on development and execution of FDI attraction strategies to identify potential economic sectors and countries to focus efforts.
- Implement strategies through coordination with state government (Front Office, Business Action Center, etc.) as well as private-sector business development partners (Choose New Jersey, BioNJ, etc.), to ensure the state is properly represented abroad.
- Develop programs and initiatives for international company recruitment and retention.
- Provide day-to-day management of International Division, including management of a team focused on international business development and economic and industry/company research . Establish, support and manage the state’s relationships with the diplomatic community in the greater New York area, as well as in Washington, D.C., liaising with the Governor’s representative to Washington as required; coordinate New Jersey-based events with diplomatic community to expose them to the strengths of the state.
- Oversee the coordination of governor-led trade missions overseas; leverage U.S. embassy and consulate footprint abroad to design and implement trade missions.
- Oversee the coordination of foreign delegation meetings with the state government.
- Oversee ad-hoc reporting on international trade and investment topics, as required.
- Oversee the process of all international memoranda of understanding on international trade and investment, sister city/state agreements, etc.
- Serve as the New Jersey state representative to the regional trade forum, the Council of State Governments – Eastern Regional Conference; represent the state, as required, at FDI attraction conferences and forums.
Team Development and Leadership
- Oversee, direct, and organize the work of the team, consisting of international trade analysts and business development leads.
- Promote a culture of high performance, collaborative cross-functional teams and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals and administer salary adjustments.
- Ensures division practices and processes are in compliance with EDA policies and guidelines and are consistently applied.
- Promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative and customer focused work environment among division, EDA staff and external customers.
- Ensures department practices and processes are in compliance with EDA policies and guidelines and are consistently applied.
- Builds, develops, mentors and coaches direct reports to develop skills and behaviors to enhance performance. Sets staff goals and objectives, reviews staff semi-annually and annually against individual plans. Develops and implements training and succession plans for the team.
- Must complete annual and semiannual self-assessment as required.
- Performs other duties and special projects, as assigned.
Required Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge and understanding of EDA programs and services, finance and economic development, public policy and governance;
- Knowledge of state government entities and requirements;
- Demonstrated knowledge of financing and incentives in economic and community development;
- Actively supports and aligns work with EDA’s current strategic imperatives;
- Provides sound financial stewardship of the organization’s assets and controls expenses whenever possible;
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive; a leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives;
- Excellent judgment and creative problem-solving skills, negotiation and conflict resolution skills;
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to lead a team with diverse levels of expertise and focus;
- Superior management skills, ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers;
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask;
- Passion for EDA’s mission;
- Customer focus;
- Responsive to changing policy and economic trends;
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal and presentation skills and the ability to effectively; interface with a broad range of audiences including senior management, EDA Board of Directors, staff, government officials, business and industry partners, as well as individual customers and prospects;
- Adapts to changes in the work environment and manages competing demands;
- Initiates procedures, guidelines and programs; prioritizes and develops realistic action plans;
- Demonstrates respectful behavior and promotes teamwork and communication to encourage an interactive, cooperative, collaborative and customer focused work environment among division, EDA staff and external customers
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and the ability to learn new software packages.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; proficient in grammar, spelling and editing; and foster communications with business professionals and EDA staff
- Ability to prioritize workload, must be highly organized, detail-oriented, handle various tasks simultaneously and work independently within limited time constraints with little or no supervision
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and deal effectively and diplomatically with business professionals and EDA staff
EDA Leadership Profile
- Acquires and Develops Talent - Acquires and develops talent to meet current and future organizational goals
- Builds and Manages the Team - Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills with the ability to build, coach and lead a team with diverse levels of experience
- Collaborates/Partners Effectively Across Boundaries/Functions - Encourages and facilitates cooperation and collaboration within teams and across organizational boundaries to achieve strategies and objectives
- Drives a Vision - Inspires a sense of shared purpose; drives a vision
- Drives for Results - Demonstrates a commitment to achieving goals; drives for results
- Encourages New Ideas and Opportunities for Change - Encourages new ideas and initiatives; creates opportunities for change
- Motivates and Energizes Others - Influences, motivates and challenges others; encourages contributions
- Thinks Strategically - Makes sound, well-informed and strategic decisions; understands the impact and implications of decisions
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree with an emphasis in International Business, International Relations, Finance, Economic Development and/or similar;
- Minimum 10 years of job related experience;
- Minimum 5 years of management experience;
- Diverse experience in international operations and financial services;
- Prior experience working or living abroad preferred; public and private sector work experience preferred
- Strong experience in International Trade and Investment
- Experience leading business development teams.
Advanced degree or industry specific certification may be substituted for 1 year of experience
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, as needed
- As necessary to events, meetings, businesses, etc.
Certificates and Licenses Required
- Valid driver’s license
The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job description. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope, general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Your employment at NJEDA is voluntary and subject to termination by you or NJEDA at will, with or without cause, or with or without notice, at any time. Nothing in this job description shall be interpreted to conflict, eliminate or modify the employment-at-will status of NJEDA employees.
This position is considered exempt and is excluded from minimum wage, overtime regulations, and other rights and protections afforded nonexempt workers under the FLSA.
NJEDA reserves the right to amend/revise this job description as necessary to meet current and changing business needs.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Foreign degrees/transcripts must be evaluated by a reputable evaluation service at your own expense and must be submitted prior to a start date. If this cannot be provided within 21 days of an offer the offer will be rescinded.
- Must comply with the “New Jersey First Act” which requires employees hired after September 1, 2011 to reside in New Jersey. Non-New Jersey resident employees must relocate to New Jersey within one year of their date of hire and provide proof of residency to Human Resources.
- Must complete an Outside Activity Questionnaire (disclosure of outside office or employment) on an annual basis.