This position has primary responsibility for planning, organizing, directing, controlling and evaluating the timely and efficient completion of all laboratory tests on a 24 hour basis in order to ensure quality patient care through incorporation of unit goals with the objectives of the Laboratory Department and the philosophy of the Hospital. Position serves as a resource and role model to staff regarding current medical laboratory practices and procedures. Promotes specialized knowledge and skills through support of educational and professional development of assigned staff. Develops and administers standards of care for evaluation of the clinical performance of laboratory staff. Position is also responsible for inventory control, purchasing of supplies and equipment, and contract negotiations.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES
- Maintains services in accordance with hospital, TJC, State and Federal requirements, which may apply through the creation and implementation of approved ongoing policies, procedures and standards.
- Monitors the quality and quantity of department’s services and ensures implementation of evaluation and the measurement tools, which accurately assess areas of needed improvement.
- Under the supervision of the Chief Operating Officer will provide leadership for development, implementation and communication of short-range department plans and programs to ensure efficient day-to-day operation consistent with overall department and hospital goals. Assigns appropriate resource allocations to achieve desired results with least cost.
- Assists with the preparation, monitoring, and controlling of the financial budget for assigned area, including design and utilization of staff and control of expenses in order to maintain operating costs within projected levels and meet financial goals of the hospital.
- Establishes and maintains appropriate department staffing plan and organizational relationships including the selection and development of staff, in order to ensure efficient operations and accomplish department standards.
- Develops, defines, and evaluates the performance of each staff member ensuring this information is reflected in criteria based performance standards, on an annual basis. Pays special attention to giving performance evaluations in a timely manner, within one month of the due date.
- Assists in the development of departmental policies and procedures and review as necessary to ensure current documentation, proper interpretation, implementation, and compliance with hospital practices.
- Collaborates with hospital departments to ensure procedures and services are provided in a timely and efficient manner. Reviews, documents, and recommends changes as appropriate.
- Provides for development of department staff to ensure that identified learning needs are met in accordance with licensure, accreditation, and legal requirements and that hospital educational program objectives are met.
- Provides in-services to hospital employees on policies and forms to be utilized.
- Is responsible for reading electronic mail on a daily basis in order to be kept up to date on procedural and department changes.
- Develops and implements business strategies of the Laboratory service line in accordance with organizational goals.
- Designs and implements field based structure and planning strategies to achieve improvement in clinical outcomes, patient satisfaction, physician engagement, and volume/financial measures.
- Information Systems job responsibilities:
- Employee should be familiar with the Information Systems Standards and Best Practices concepts and requirements. http://policies/dotNet/documents/?docid=4484&mode=view
- IT will review the Information Systems Standards and Best Practices concepts, requirements and documentation with employees at least once a year for understanding, completeness and accuracy.
- Employee shall document the system management, maintenance, and support requirements in a location accessible to Information Technology and appropriate SVMH support staff who have responsibility.
- Sr. Administrative Director of Information Technology will provide input to be reflected on theemployee’s performance review.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
Licensure: State of California Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS)licensure required.
Experience: Five years of progressive laboratory experience, at least three of which have been at the supervisory/managerial level.