Director of Bioinformatics, Genomic Scientist
The position will lead a new division within the company. Reporting to the Global Medical Director of Genetics, help develop products that will be marketed to the consumer with a focus on oncology.
- Build a cross-functional organization to support multiple projects and large data sets
- Establish processes for data gathering, storage, analysis; and blending both open-source, third party and proprietary computational algorithms.
- Develop and implement bioinformatics initiatives utilizing all available resources to organize, manage and support all research activities.
- Direct the design, development, implementation and maintenance of the bioinformatics function and overall research computing capability
- Create, curate, manipulate and perform analytics on connected data sets
- Build out a NGS pipeline from cloud-based systems for analysis and storage
- Ability to write algorithms for risk-based assessment on newly developed clinical tests
- Oversee the computational infrastructure and controls the flow of samples and information for large-scale studies
- Develop and maintain applications systems for the management and analysis of data
- Develop novel informatics tools and utilize emerging web technologies
- Develop and apply computational tools
- Provide support to lead programs through analysis and integration of NGS data
- Lead the development and implementation of automated methods, analytical tools and software to deliver insights, hypotheses from sequencing data sets
- Help with the development of new products from R&D through clinical validation
- Serve as internal expert in quantitative data analysis and present scientific and technical data to both internal and external scientific colleagues in a clear and cohesive manner
- Serve as a thought-partner for the executive team and product management team in determining how to get the most business value from our technology investments.
- Work side-by-side with multiple organizations to resolve both technical issues and issues of policy to ensure a smooth information flow.
- Opportunity to build a multi-layered bioinformatics and engineering team, responsible for team deadlines and quality by developing strategic plans
- Work closely with senior director of business development on product development and implementation
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience
- Personable, outgoing professional with a strong molecular genetics background
- Ability to think creatively and initiate new ideas or solutions to business issues.
- Independence of thought and sound judgment relating to business needs.
- Demonstrated commitment, self-motivation, and drive.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present at the highest level
- Ability to engage, sustain and influence effective relationships at the management level
- Self-starter, ability to work in a fast-past, competing deadline driven environment.
- Experience working with AWS, cloud-bases systems
- Experience working with 3rd-party NGS processing platforms, such as DNAnexus
- Experience with programing languages such as C+, Java, R, Perl, Shell, Docker, Python Leadership
Education, Certification/Licensure, and/or Experience
- P D. in bioinformatics or biological computational sciences
- Minimum 2-year post-doctoral experience
- Followed by 3+ years of industry experience where you gained extensive knowledge of computational genomics
- Prior clinical or laboratory experience preferred.
- Position can be remote, will require visits to the headquarter office in Connecticut as needed
- Prior experience in a commercial atmosphere such as Genetics, pharmaceuticals or Commercial Lab space a plus.