Aparium Hotel Group is looking for aDirector of Engineering to join our teamfor the future opening in The MC Hotel in Montclair, New Jersey. Montclair gets a premium, full-service hotel for the first time since 1938.
Working with Marriott’s Autograph Collection, Aparium is helping bring an authentic experience to the heart of Montclair, New Jersey for the first time in decades. The $38 million dollar, 150 room, ground-up development is scheduled to open in 2019. Included in the downtown hotel’s plans are a farm-to-tablerestaurant, rooftop bar with unparalleled views of Manhattan, curated lobby market, and six-story parking garage. Additionally, plans call for 13,000 square feet of chic event space and meeting rooms, including a state-of-the-art conference center.
Founded in 2011, ApariumHotel Group is a Chicago-based, leading lifestyle hotel company owned andoperated by industry veterans accomplished inhoteldevelopment, management and marketing. Aparium Hotel Group’s growth is guided by its “Translocal Hospitality” philosophy, which is the belief that great hotels are a destination sought out by travelers and a place thatthrives as a gathering hub for locals.Specializing in historic adaptive reuseprojects, eachof Aparium Hotel Group’s properties are independent brands andcelebrate the specific neighborhoods and unique history of the distinctcities in whichthey reside. Aparium Hotel Group currently operates tenhotel properties across the United States with more than a dozennew projects in development.
Provides a high level of property maintenance knowledge. Position has overall responsibility for maintaining the building, grounds and physical plant with particular attention towards safety, security and asset protection. Responsible for the management, planning, and execution of the daily activities associated with the Maintenance Department and for maintaining the guestrooms, public space, exteriors, restaurants, bars, and all back of house areas. Accountable for managing the budget, capital expenditure projects, preventative maintenance and energy conservation. Develops and implements strategies that will deliver products and services, which meet or exceed the needs and expectations of guests and employees while maximizing the financial performance. Acts as Safety Director and implements and/or participates in all Fire, Life, and Safety related training and programs required by applicable state and federal law. Leads the emergency response team for all facility issues.
Education and Experience
- Director of Engineer or Chief Engineer minimum of 2 years previous experience required
- Hotel pre-opening experience preferred
• High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the engineering and maintenance or related professional area; technical training in HVAC-R/Electrical/Plumbing.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Building and Construction, Engineering, Mechanics, or related major; 4 years experience in the engineering and maintenance or related professional area; technical training in HVAC-R/Electrical/Plumbing.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Managing Engineering Operations and Budgets
• Works with property leadership team to determine how Engineering is performing against budget and highlights areas of concern to leadership.
• Manages the physical plant including equipment, refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment and electrical systems in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures.
• Administers service contracts to support property needs.
• Ensures fire crew has complete understanding of all procedures, equipment and alarms.
• Coaches and supports engineering leadership team to effectively manage controllable expenses (e.g., wages, heat, light and power, water consumption, tools and equipment, grounds keeping supplies, uniforms, vendors, service agreements, inventory, etc.).
• Manages and controls heat, light and power.
• Develops an engineering operating strategy that is aligned with the property/brand’s business strategy.
• Develops and manages Engineering budget.
• Ensures integration of departmental goals in game plans.
• Oversees execution of long term preventative maintenance and 10 year asset protection plans.
• Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Engineering is performing against budget.
• Addresses potential areas of concern and proposing solutions to owners in a proactive manner.
• Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding departmental goals to produce desired results.
• Supervises construction to ensure timely completion of projects within budgetary guidelines.
Maintaining Engineering Standards
• Ensures compliance with state, local and federal regulations.
• Maintains property life safety systems (e.g., fire fighting equipment, sprinkler systems, and alarm systems).
• Ensures building and equipment licenses, permits and certifications are current.
• Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
• Manages areas of operation to budget by reviewing operating statements, budget worksheets and payroll progress reports.
• Monitors and manages the payroll function.
• Manages department's controllable expenses to achieve or exceed budgeted goals.
• Participates in the development of department's capital expenditure goals; manages projects as needed.
• Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility.
• Prepares weekly and period end P&L critiques.
• Understands the impact of department's operation on the overall property financial goals; educates staff on details as appropriate.
• Reviews and manages controllable expenses such as, heat, light, power, water consumption, tools and equipment, grounds keeping supplies, uniforms, vendors, service agreements, etc.
Conducting Human Resources Activities
• Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
• Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and support the Peer Review Process.
• Utilizes employee feedback and an “open door” policy to identify and address employee problems or concerns in a timely manner.
• Celebrates successes by publicly recognizing the contributions of team members.
• Resolves guest problems and complaints.
• Brings issues to the attention of Human Resources as necessary.
• Ensures that regular on-going communication takes place throughout the engineering operation to communicate daily operations activities, set expectations and create awareness of business objectives.
- Maintain a good working relationship with other associates by promoting teamwork and fostering a harmonious working climate
- Partake in a positive work ethic and surrounding environment
- Standard hotel/restaurant setting
- Able to sit, stand for long periods of time
- Excellent communication skills verbal and written
- Professional, passionate and positive work environment
- Travel may be required for this position
Aparium Hotel Group does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.The hotelis a smoke-free, drug-free facility, and equal opportunity employer.