The Facility Services Department is focused on maintaining a safe, clean, and effective environment for the Laboratory community as well as providing the infrastructure that aligns with and supports the research initiatives in a high-quality, and cost-effective manner. The engineering team in our department provides the technical expertise to enable our stewardship of the facilities. Functionally they engage in systems design, space renovations, maintaining systems documentation, as-builts, facility condition assessments, engineering standards, capital renewal, deferred maintenance, operations support, review & approval of 3rd party design efforts, some project design, energy efficiency/sustainability initiatives and more. This position will lead, supervise and direct all facility-related engineering operations. This is a senior level position and will report directly to the department head of facilities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Supervise and provide leadership to a multi-disciplined engineering team who represent the owners of the facility and related systems in many capacities to assure facility reliability; maintenance engineering, project design, design review, energy and sustainability, construction of facilities and the acquisition and modification of facility systems and equipment
• Will serve as technical expert for the facility
• Work closely with the planning team to set of project priorities, develop future capital needs, create a comprehensive scope of work and oversee the progress of the capital renewal program
• Lead the development and implementation of engineering standards across all disciplines for all facilities and systems
• Assure contracted design review process & approvals adheres to our facility standards
• Ensures compliance with Federal (UFC) and State building codes. Knowledgeable and conversant in building regulations
• Be current with industry trends and best practice. Actively involved in facility and engineering peer associations
• Lead in the technical review of Capital Project Design Development
• Lead in building processes and programs within the engineering group; commissioning, project design, design review & approval, resource allocation, capital renewal, specification review and more
• Assess existing maintenance and engineering policies, procedures, standards, and activities, recommends organizational improvements and leads or delegates the plan for administering the implementation
• Manage the development of an implementation of Laboratory or departmental goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for the engineering group
• Assess and monitor employee workloads, administrative and support systems and internal reporting requirements; identify opportunities for improvement; direct and implement change
• Provide mentorship and supervision to a team of professional engineers and designers. Hire, train, motivates, and evaluates assigned employees; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures
• Represents Engineering to other departments, internal or external stakeholders or agencies as the facility department’s technical expert
• Provides staff assistance to the facility department heads; participate on boards or committees as required; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence
• Support operations, planning and the Capital Projects Office functions by examining and identifying deficiencies within existing systems, facilities, and structures, preparing recommendations for improvements, providing technical advice and guidance
• Must be a U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a DoD secret clearance
• Bachelor's Degree required in mechanical or electrical or structural engineering. Related engineering fields considered
• PE License
• Self-Starter with the ability to independently research, analyze and provide solutions to complex information.
• Will possess excellent leadership qualities.
• Will have excellent communication skills to provide quality customer service.
• Will be a team player that works well with peers from Operations, Project Management, Planning and Administration.
• Must be extremely organized and able to efficiently plan, prioritize and delegate work assignments.
• Will have the requisite education and experience to serve as the technical expert for all our research facilities.
• Must be excellent at delegating duties and holding subordinates responsible for satisfactory performance of assignments. Will be keen on effective management techniques including record keeping, analyzing data to solve problems or inefficiencies, personnel and performance analyses.
• Active Secret Clearance
• Master’s degree preferable
WORKING LOCATIONS & ADDITIONAL INFO
• Location: Lexington, MA
• Travel: Travel may be expected
• Employment Status: Full-Time Employee with full benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD, PTO, Retirement)
• Other: All candidates must also successfully pass a Commercial Background Investigation (CBI).
This job posting sets forth the authorities and responsibilities of this position, which may be changed from time to time as shall be determined.
Odyssey Systems Consulting Group, LTD. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or other factors protected by federal, state, and/or local law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including: recruiting; hiring; placement; promotion; termination; layoff; recall; transfer; leaves of absence; compensation; and training.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.