Bullis School seeks an innovative, energetic, and dedicated candidate for the role Director of Finance and Operations. Bullis School is an independent coeducational college preparatory day school for students in grades K-12 located in Potomac, MD that provides a student-centered balanced experience in academics, the arts, athletics, and community service. Bullis uniquely prepares every student to become caring global citizens and creative, critical thinkers who will thrive in tomorrow's world. To learn more about Bullis School please click here.
The Director of Finance and Operations serves as the School’s principal finance and business officer and is charged with the effective stewardship of the School’s resources in support of the mission and strategic goals. The position is responsible for maintaining and enhancing the School’s financial and accounting system controls and standards, as well as, directing financial activities and accounting practices for the School. This position serves as a member of the School’s senior leadership team and reports directly to the Head of School.
The Director of Finance and Operations is responsible for providing leadership and overseeing the finance and business operations of the school, including, the Business Office, Human Resources, Facilities, Safety & Security, Summer Programs, and Auxiliary Services.
The essential functions included the following, as well as other duties as necessary and assigned:
- Is responsible for maintaining and enhancing the School’s financial and accounting system controls and standards. Directs all financial activities and accounting practices for the School.
- Provides leadership to the following operational departments: business office, human resources, facilities, safety and security, summer programs, and auxiliary services.
- Manages, mentors, and develops direct reports, providing constructive and timely feedback. Models and fosters high ethical standards, integrity, and respect for colleagues, alumni/ae, parents, and students in the conduct of the school’s business.
- Works with the Finance Committee and provides for and facilitates an annual financial audit, the annual audit of the 401(k) plan; and preparation of the 990 tax return.
- Responsible for cash management throughout the school and negotiates major contracts on behalf of the school, and facilitating appropriate approvals.
- Manages preparation, presentation, and approval of the annual operating and capital expenditure budgets. Collaborates with the Head of School to prepare an annual tuition proposal, sets compensation levels and capital budgets, and establishes other financial priorities. Provides input to long-range planning committees to establish and execute the strategic financial plan of the School and serves on the financial aid committee.
- Monitors the performance of the endowment portfolio and makes recommendations accordingly, in conjunction with the Investment Committee.
- Oversees all risk management aspects of the School and ensures proper insurance coverage on all assets and operations.
- Develops and implements policies and protocols for all business-related aspects of the School.
- Ensures compliance with all relevant federal statutes, regulations and policies related to the School’s status as a 501c(3) institution. Ensures compliance with relevant state, local, human resources, and employment statutes, laws and regulations.
- Works directly with the Director of Security to coordinate emergency planning in conjunction with local first responders.
- Remains current with business management trends and cultivates professional standards and development by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, and participating in local, regional, and national professional organizations.
- The ability to lift to 25 lbs., with or without reasonable accommodations
- Additional duties as assigned by the Head of School
Qualified candidates should possess the following in education & experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or related field (required)
- Master’s Degree in accounting finance, or related field (preferred)
- CPA (preferred)
- Prior accounting, finance and business office experience
- Proven success in managing multiple operational areas in a senior leadership role, preferably working with a Board
- Has excellent oral and written communication skills, ability to play an integral role in a team environment and collaborate with varied constituencies
- Has a high level of experience in managing database, accounting, and payroll systems
- Has the ability to handle multiple projects/tasks with great attention to detail and meet deadlines in an environment that presents many distractions and interruptions
- Ability to lift of move boxes up to 25 lbs., with or without reasonable accommodation
Salary & Benefits
Compensation includes competitive benefits and salary commensurate with experience.
Bullis School is committed to staff diversity, equality, and continued professional growth. Bullis School provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Bullis School complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.