Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the Director of IT Infrastructure role is to help lead the group through two potentially contradictory objectives: operate a safe and cost effective digital infrastructure relied on by every business process, and change that same infrastructure as quickly as possible to take advantage of new opportunities and to respond to new threats. The director if IT infrastructure leads a team of roughly 5 people and a network of vendors to meet both of these objectives. It is the Director’s unique blend of leadership and management abilities, process design skills, business acumen, and solid technical infrastructure understanding that makes it possible to succeed on both.
The Director is part of a small, close-knit IT leadership team that also includes Application Development, Product Management, and Help Desk that develops strategy and oversees the operation and evolution of the business. The Director will interact with senior-most leadership to help them understand the constraints and possibilities of their IT infrastructure. Conversely the Director is expected to understand our business and how the IT infrastructure supports it.
Responsibilities on these systems include:
- Sets the mission and vision of the IT Operations organization to foster a business-oriented culture and mindset driven by continual service improvement techniques.
• Leads the development of the IT Operations service strategy and technical road map, and ensures its integration with the overall IT and enterprise strategic plans.
• Oversees and prioritizes the work of teams and vendors responsible for
• US networking,
• US on-premise and cloud infrastructure.
• Ensures that service level objectives are established, communicated, and met.
• Ensures that disaster recovery plans are established, communicated, and rehearsed.
• Ensures that cyber-security policy and procedures are responsive and consistently applied.
• Ensures a continuous IT Risk Management dialog with leaders across the enterprise on the adequacy and effectiveness of IT security precautions, IT service levels, and IT disaster recovery plans.
• Responsible for all IT inventory of the company.
• Advocates for computer training programs for the staff, and works with HR on regular scheduling and teaching of training classes.
• Works with the CTO to develop and enhance the overall technology strategy.
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, business administration or related field, or equivalent work experience.
• Fifteen or more years of experience in IT.
• Five or more years of management experience including budgeting and managing managers.
• Demonstrated leadership.
• The ability to effectively communicate ideas in written and spoken communication.
• Master’s degree in computer science, information systems, business administration or related field, or equivalent work experience.
• Two or more years exposure to organization design, business processes design, and business transformations to achieve those designs.
• Expertise in budget planning and financial management.
• Deep understanding of current and emerging technologies and practices, and how other enterprises are employing them.
• Experience with LAN/WAN technologies and modern cloud platforms such as AWS or Azure
• Excellent vendor management skills
• Solid problem statement skills and strategies for problem solving.
• Strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with direct reports, IT peers, and senior management across the company.
Working Conditions/Physical Effort:
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little advanced notice.
- Occasional travel may be required.
- Infrequent lifting of items 50 lbs.