Director of Marketing will lead the firm’s marketing and external communications strategies. This position is responsible for refining and promoting the firm’s strategic message, brand, and PR program with a well-crafted communication strategy that is consistent with the firm’s strategic goals and marketing plans. In addition, the Director of Marketing will work closely with marketing, practice leaders and executive management to ensure effectively delivery of the firm’s brand strategy and manage the firm’s corporate graphics and public relations staff. This position is responsible for the successful development and implementation of marketing and business development strategies that directly corresponds to project pursuit success and increased revenue.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, business, architecture or other related field from an accredited university, or equivalent demonstrated proficiency.
Experience: Minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in marketing in architecture or related design industry. Candidate should have the ability to manage medium to large sized teams and have a strong understanding of the architectural industry and profession. In addition, the candidate should have a good understanding of digital and social media marketing trends.
Other Qualifications and Positions Expectations:
- Understands architectural and construction industry technical terminology.
- Establishes productive working relationships, and deals effectively and cooperatively with internal ‘proponents,’ marketing, public relations and graphic design staff.
- Collaborates with appropriate staff to meet goals and objectives of marketing activities.
- Ensures that coaching, mentoring, and performance-enhancing feedback of assigned team members are provided.
- Manages the firm’s PR and communication plan in by overseeing and directing the communications team.
- Manages compliance with the firm’s image and brand, in collaboration with the Creative Director.
Leadership & Teamwork
- Understands all aspects of marketing and communications, and participates in the evaluation of people assigned to accurately and fairly document their performance.
- Communicates professionally —orally, graphically, and in writing.
- Delegates assignments to support staff with respect.
- Coordinates marketing activities with other marketing and firm leaders.
- Manages and tracks project pursuit KPIs and helps direct prepare project proposals to ensure high win rates.
- Provides leadership and strategy in proposal development. Is an expert in A/E/C proposal development.
- Provides training and mentoring to marketing managers, PR, and graphics staff on technical aspects of marketing and PR activities.
- Has high integrity, is honest, and cares genuinely for teams and clients.
- Has the ability to adapt to change, and has the ability to embrace new ideas and approaches.
- Leads positive change initiatives through effective communication, collaboration, and consensus-building.
- Proactively seeks feedback from internal principals/proponents to inform development of marketing tools and support systems.
- Utilizes resources, establishes priorities, and organizes work to meet/complete required department, program, and firm deadlines.
- Works to eliminate activities that do not add value.
- Ensures that marketing material designs support firm's design goals.
- Assures quality performance in all areas of work product.
- Holds self-accountable for meeting deadlines and supporting department and firm goals.
- Collaborates in the establishment of firm-wide or market initiatives and follows through with their implementation.
- Regularly meets with direct reports to discuss performance.
- Develops external communications strategies.
- Participates in development of brand strategy for the firm.
- Manages website development and maintenance.
- Manages / implements social media strategies and tools.
- Works with Practice leaders to develop and implement market-targeted PR strategies.
- Assists with defining communication and promotion activities and budgets that support each market segment including: brochures, mail program, conferences, design and trade publications, and media and press relations.
- Analyzes effectiveness of individual communication and promotion/PR activities in support of the firm’s overall image and position.
- Implements the firm’s social media strategy, coordinating with stakeholders across the firm to ensure its effectiveness and encourage adoption of relevant social media techniques into the corporate culture
- Oversees development of social media campaigns in conjunction with the Public Relations Manager.
- Manages presence in social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter, and other similar community sites, posting on relevant blogs, and seeding content into social applications as needed.
- Monitors effective benchmarks for measuring the impact of social media programs, and analyzes, reviews, and reports on effectiveness of campaigns in an effort to maximize results.
- Regularly provides feedback on insights gained from social media monitoring to the marketing and Editorial teams, to help them evolve their strategies in a timely fashion.