Our Pet Segment is searching for a Director of Marketing to lead product development and innovation efforts for Central Garden and Pet’s Health and Wellness Business Unit located in the Walnut Creek, CA office. This position leads efforts to grow our brands within new and existing channels/customers by driving the development of innovation to help compete in both current and new segments. The ideal candidate will have the experience leading cross functional teams to deliver products to the marketplace that are consistent with customer desires and superior to competitive offerings. This position relies on a solid understanding of consumer products businesses through traditional Brick and Mortar retailers and eCommerce. Pet industry experience is helpful, though not required. This is an individual contributor role with no direct reports.
Central Garden & Pet Company (NASDAQ: CENT and CENTA) is a leading innovator, marketer and producer of quality branded products for the pet and lawn and garden supplies markets. Please see our website at www.central.com for additional company information.
MEASURES OF SUCCESS
- Development and execution of effective and profitable innovation plans that support the consumer, brick and mortar retailers and eCommerce customers to meet or exceed sales and EBIT targets
- Drive short term and long-term development, prioritization and introduction of line extensions and product/product line innovation
- Establish and communicate agile product commercialization strategy. Manage successful product launches through the Stage Gate Process.Ensure timelines are being met and communicate progress to all stakeholders
- Coordinate with GM, Research and Development, Creative Services, Purchasing, Regulatory, Agencies and other functional groups to drive projects to completion
- Provide leadership to sharpen competitive positioning of existing product lines
- Build the BU’s base of insights through tools such as Nielsen and collaborate with Insights
- Team on research, ensuring BU is making insights driven decisions for current and new brands/products
- Build and share knowledge of category sizes, trends and competitive positions
- Develop an expertise on relevant channels of distribution and knowledge key customer desires and practices within each channel
- Lead competitive intelligence mindset and is proficient in category, competitors' products, pricing, field activity, consumer needs and other vital information
- Develop a strong working relationship with internal and external teams to create a collaborative environment that supports achievement of business goals
- Other projects as directed by the Business Unit General Manger
IDEAL CANDIDATE ATTRIBUTES
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Minimum of 5 years in new product and innovation pipeline development or equivalent in consumer products
- Pet Specialty, Animal Health or Veterinary experience preferred but not required
- Experience in consumer insights, product development/commercialization and project management
- Experience in working with cross-functional teams and creating a collaborative environment
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects concurrently
- Detail-oriented with a strong work ethic and organizational skills
- Ability to quickly develop a deep knowledge of the marketplace and Key Accounts
- Highly developed interpersonal skills with exceptional written and verbal communication
- High energy, results- and people-oriented, assertive/persuasive, team player
- Ability to maintain the integrity of highly confidential customer and product information
- 25% Travel
- Computer proficiency on all MS Office applications
- Ability to work in a constant state of alertness and alert manner
This position is in Walnut Creek, CA which is the location of the Health and Wellness team and other departments including marketing, market research, and digital marketing team. Sales personnel are dispersed throughout the country. Manufacturing. Purchasing, engineering and some R & D is located in Dallas, Texas. Travel will be required for this position. This position would develop a close and collaborative working relationship across the entire organization.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by law.