We are seeking an exceptional director of engineering to lead a team of mechanical engineers that develop new products and support their transition to market. Programs involve a broad range of technologies including sophisticated laser and optical delivery systems, ultrasound, and radio-frequency devices. The ideal candidate would have experience managing and mentoring engineering teams, experience in all phases of product development, and a strong track record of innovation. Experience leading product development programs and teams is also desirable. This position provides a unique opportunity to drive innovation from the component to system level in a fast-paced, well-funded R&D environment.
· Inspire and mentor a team of engineers to develop innovative and cost-effective mechanical designs that enable best-in-class products.
· Efficiently manage team workflow to support a wide range of projects in development phases ranging from proof-of-concept to sustaining engineering.
· Develop and maintain effective tools for the group including CAD design software, FEA modeling software, 3D printers, and an in-house machine shop.
· Serve as a primary technical contributor in defining concepts for new system architectures.
· Contribute individually to design development and experimental design verification as needed.
· B.S. or M.S. degree in mechanical engineering with at least 7 years of product development experience.
· At least 4 years of experience managing a team of mechanical engineers with a focus on leading by example.
· A track record of contributing to successful product introductions including at least one significant program from proof-of-concept through pilot production and a strong understanding of product development best practices.
· A sense of urgency in driving projects and desire to set ambitious goals and work aggressively to meet project schedules.
· In depth knowledge of mechanical engineering principles and material properties of metals, ceramics, and plastics.
· Extensive CAD design experience (Solidworks preferred).
· Proven experience in structural analysis, thermal analysis, fluid dynamics, and/or multi-physics simulations; expert use of Matlab, Pro-E Mechanica or Cosmos preferred.
· Basic knowledge of electronics and optics.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· A drive and passion for developing a holistic understanding to problems and developing creative, practical solutions in a timely manner.
· An interest and curiosity for biomedicine and biomedical applications.
· Experience leading product development projects is a plus.