Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants is seeking an experienced, enthusiastic, and caring candidate for the position of Director of People and Culture for The Kimpton Gray Hotel in Chicago.
Our mission is to be the best loved Hotel & Restaurant Company so regardless of position, we look for individuals who are passionate about providing genuine heartfelt care to our guest and employees.
What you get to do: For Kimpton, our point of differentiation is our cultural foundation. The Human Resources Department is the champion of the culture and as such, Human Resources is referred to as People and Culture. Qualified candidates will be passionate about internal guests and fostering a work environment consistent with Kimpton's Best Place to Work initiatives!
* Develop, maintain and support a genuine partnership with the hotel and restaurant operations teams serving as an employee advocate, cultural ambassador, subject matter expert, and innovator while championing all aspects of relationship-based problem solving.
* Responsible for all recruitment and staffing including actively and timely sourcing candidates, maintenance of job postings within budget and staffing guidelines, preparation of all salaried offer letter requests and all salaried/hourly offer letters, Leave management, new hire paperwork, onboarding, and outprocessing, for the hotel and restaurant.
* Champion all employee relations consistent with Kimpton's Best Place To Work and employee communication/recognition initiatives such as the Employee Opinion Survey, Employee Action Committees, Housekeeping Appreciation Week, Employee of the Month/Manager of the Quarter, Kimpton Moments Recognition, Affinity Groups including Kimpton Women's Group, Kimpton's Seasonal Employee Campaigns, and partner with the hotel and restaurant operations to increase awareness of Kimpton Cares initiatives and our community partnerships with The Trevor Project, Clean the World, & No Kid Hungry.
* Partner with Hotel/Restaurant GMs and Department Heads to achieve excellence in employee satisfaction scores as measured through the annual EOS and BTPW surveys.
* Support the hotel and restaurant operations in goal achievement of Market Metrix and Coyle metrics.
* Lead performance management administration including 90-day and annual performance reviews for hotel/restaurant employees and performance improvement plans as needed.
* Ensure consistent compliance to all government employment and labor laws.
* Regularly assess property-specific training needs and lead professional development including Kimpton University facilitation, ensuring maximum attendance at all KU courses, compliance, operational and skills-based training courses.
* Partner with hotel and restaurant operations management on all coaching, counseling and discipline matters and serve as a solution-based P&C consultant on progressive discipline.
* Timely perform exit interviews and monitor for trends.
* Partner with your leadership team to conduct stay interviews regularly.
* Ensure I9 and File Audit Compliance.
* Partner with Director of Finance during annual internal or external audits to support payroll/human resources compliance requirements.
* Champion all People & Culture annual functional goals.
* Manage workers' compensation and unemployment administration including effective case management of all workers' compensation and unemployment claims to minimize liability and expense exposure. Ensure compliance to workers' compensation reporting requirements, transitional duty and return-to-work goals for all employees with active workers' compensation claims.
* Actively and consistently participate in weekly hotel and restaurant staff meetings, daily line up meetings, Executive Committee and/or departmental meetings, as needed or otherwise requested.
* Provide onsite P&C support and visibility.
* Actively partner with the DOE and GMs in leading Safety Committee initiatives.
Minimum knowledge, skills, abilities, competencies, and qualifications include but are not limited to:
* Minimum one (1) year as a Human Resources Director, preferably in a union environment, with achievement of a BS/BA Degree in hospitality management, business management or related field.
* Must possess strong computer skills to include: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, ADP Vantage preferred.
* Must possess strong organizational, task-management, employee relations, leadership, problem resolution, creativity, verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
* Comprehensive knowledge of all applicable federal, state and city employment and labor laws.
* Naturally outgoing and friendly demeanor with personal commitment and passion for providing employee care in order to consistently deliver and demonstrate Kimpton service standards to our internal customers.
* Ability to self-lead in the workplace with natural commitment to continuous improvement.
* Bilingual with advanced fluency in Spanish preferred (verbal and written).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Prior experience required. Depending on the role degree may be required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, write, and verbally communicate effectively and professionally with other business departments, guests, and vendors. Ability to diplomatically deal with difficult situations and people, while exhibiting a consistent level of professionalism.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, or telephone. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10-25 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
(Please note: management reserves the right to change, modify, and/or alter any of the duties listed above to meet business demands).