Job Title: Director of Purchasing - Food
Reports To: Vice President of Supply Chain Operations & Development
Summary: The Director of Food Purchasing is responsible for the optimization (cost, quality, and service level) of food purchases across the Supply Chain. Management of 150 suppliers and 500 items which represents approximately $60,000,000 of product supplied to 2 Distribution Centers, 12 Central Kitchens, and 97 Restaurants. The Director of Purchasing will provide leadership and innovative thinking to drive the company forward in its strategic objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, organize, and manage activities related to the procurement of all food related items providing a balanced strategy for cost, quality, service levels. Assure that food is delivered on schedule, at the negotiated price, and meets the quality standards of the company.
- Maintain specification sheets for food products. Work with the team to ensure that the company has the highest standards of food safety programs in place with each vendor.
- Manage supplier relationships and performance. Lead yearly supplier evaluation process in coordination with internal users and rationalize suppliers where needed. Develop and monitor the supplier KPIs. Establish monthly reporting of purchasing activities (management dashboards, hot topics, achievements, risks & opportunities).
- Create and maintain Inventory Aging report
- Negotiate freight programs by working with Distribution for backhauls or outside freight. Identify efficiencies of LTL vs. FTL freight programs. Works with in-house Distribution to maximize all backhauls and programs to minimize freight cost.
- Create a long-term partnership with key suppliers. Work with suppliers to implement cost improvement programs.
- Identify new suppliers to support future growth. Evaluate potential suppliers concerning the viability of their products and acceptability of their manufacturing facilities.
- Develop 1 & 3 year supply chain strategic plans to include identifying supplier sources, their purchasing capacity, and any industry changes (i.e. tariffs, government regulations, M&A, GMO vs. non-GMO, organics)
- Strategically develop and implement commodity strategies. Develop customized purchasing strategies and make management recommendations. Work with R&D on optimal timing to introduce and promote new products when market is most favorable.
- Attend trade shows, meet with vendors and visit plants to understand the industry
- Develop and maintain Benchmarking Studies for core finished goods produced by DC. Complete “Make vs Buy” analysis annually for these items.
- Bring new ideas/ products to marketing and culinary on what is happening in industry that keeps us relevant or on the forefront of trends
- Address Quality Control issues company wide and acts as a liaison between vendors, restaurants and corporate when issues arise and brings resolution in a timely manner
- Communicate information and changes to the field and helps resolve problems relating to purchasing (shortages, returns, mis-pull)
- Lead or participate in cross-functional team projects related to product specifications, quality inquiries, product recall, sourcing new ingredients, testing new products, and other key company initiatives
- Work with Vice President of Supply Chain on strategic projects and take lead of them
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Finance, or Supply Chain from an accredited university preferred; MBA a plus
- Must have 10+ years of progressive experience in restaurant food purchasing. Experience in distribution and S&OP highly desirable.
- 5 + years of experience as a Senior Manager or higher
- APICS / CPIM / CPSM certification strongly preferred
- A proven track record in the Strategic Sourcing and cost savings initiatives, leading to meaningful cost of goods reductions, without risk of jeopardizing finished goods.
- Demonstrated hands on commodity risk management and contracting