Job ID: 161542
Lawn & Garden, a CRH company, a division within Oldcastle APG, is one of the largest manufacturers of bagged and bulk decorative mulch, soil, stone, and limestone products in the nation with over 40 production facilities. We take pride in serving a diverse group of customers including independent garden centers, mass retailers, landscapers, contractors, and homeowners.
Oldcastle Lawn and Garden is seeking a strategic and results-oriented Director of Quality and Technical Services to support the growth of our national, industry leading mulch and soil business. Reporting directly to the President of Lawn & Garden in this critical role you will be responsible for developing, managing, and owning a robust Quality and Technical Services program which will drive revenue growth, margin improvement, performance gains, and overall product quality. As a member of the senior leadership team you will be responsible for Quality Assurance, New business development, raw material sourcing strategy, and various profit improvement initiatives central to our business success. In this fast-paced, growing organization those that are highly motivated and driven to results will have the opportunity to succeed and advance.
- Define Quality Expectations - development and management of SOPs, Vendor Quality Programs, best practices and benchmarking
- Learning and Training – provide training and resources to the OLG team, including safety/quality coordinators, as well as to external vendors
- Provide meaningful and professional written and verbal communications to customers and regulatory agencies as required
- Lead investigation and resolution on significant customer complaints
- Support customer service team through education and product knowledge
New business development
- Leverage advanced knowledge of products and commercial applications in partnering with Sales and Marketing to gain new business
- Establish rapport and relationships with key customers by providing technical expertise and external education
- Actively participate in industry associations
- Support growth trials and product formulation related to customer acquisition and retention
Alternative raw material sources and sourcing
- Assess and make recommendations regarding options for recyclable and renewable raw material sourcing
- Develop comprehensive business cases for new materials which tie technical recommendations to revenue or margin growth
- Partner with 3rd parties (universities, research institutions, etc.) to learn and explore innovative ideas for relevant raw materials and products
Profit Improvement Initiatives
- Optimize plant efficiency by providing actionable technical data and analysis to plant management
- Understand plant flows and process to a degree that site operations improvement opportunities become evident
- Collaborate with sites or Ops Managers to implement profit improvements
- Bachelors of Science in Agricultural Studies, Horticulture, or related field, with Graduate Degree preferred
- Cross-functional aptitude with an ability to work as partner and influencer to various business functions
- 10+ years managing or being involved with highly functioning Quality control function, with 5+ years in Agriculture, Soil Sciences, Horticulture, or related industry
- A desire to contribute and be a part of a winning team committed to converting sound strategy into business results
- Must be located within range to work from one of our existing sites, with ability to travel 50%
What CRH Americas Offers You
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development, and internal promotion
About CRH Americas
CRH Americas has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH Americas family. CRH Americas operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Lawn & Garden, a CRH company, is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the CRH family!
CRH Americas is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.