The Director of Rooms Division will oversee operation of the Front Office, Housekeeping, and Security. They will work closely with the General Manager (and or AGM) on special projects and assignments. Responsible for the management, evaluation, and performance of all Rooms Division functions, including Front Office, Housekeeping, Common Area, Laundry, Concierge, PBX and Bell Staff/Shuttle/Valet Service. The Rooms Division Director is responsible to maximize guest service scores and opportunities within the Division. This position will be on the Executive Committee.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Four-year college degree in hospitality, business management, or related field preferred.
LICENSE/PERMITS REQUIRED: Valid driver's license.
KNOWLEDGE OF COMPUTER HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE: Must be proficient in Microsoft Word & Excel software and company approved spreadsheets.
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
* 5 years of progressive hotel/resort experience in full-service properties in excess of 500 rooms.
* Extensive Rooms Division experience in Housekeeping and Front Desk.
* Have a broad understanding of the tourism industry and the day-to-day functions of all aspects of a resort.
* Must be able to communicate, read, write, and speak English effectively.
* Bi-lingual skills are preferred but not required.
* Ability to communicate effectively with clients, senior management, and support staff is needed.
* Ability to present information in one-on-one, small group situations to guests, clients, and other associates and corporate executives of the Resort a must.
* Knowledge of hotel/resort operations such as room's management, housekeeping, laundry, maintenance, both in service skills and operations management.
* Ability to respond effectively to changing demands.
* Must be able to frequently communicate and develop rapport with guests and associates and have a working relationship with the resort management team.
* Ability to work with numbers, manage various spreadsheets and budgets for different departments, and make important fiscal decisions is required.
* Ability to resolve disputes with guests and associates is required.
* Must be able to work in a stationary position for long periods of times (up to 5 hours)
* Must be able to frequently move throughout the resort in order to have access to all areas in a large resort.
* Must have the stamina to work up to 60 hours per week.
* Must be able to occasionally work in outdoor weather conditions.
* Must be able to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
* Must be able to frequently climb, balance, dance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell.
* Must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
* The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
* Special vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus.
* Must be able to work and be flexible with all shifts, weekends, and holidays.
* Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Must be able to convey information and ideas clearly.
* Must be able to evaluate and select among alternative courses of action quickly and accurately.
* Must be effective in handling problems in the workplace, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
* Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying the issues raised by Associates, Supervisors, Department Heads, Senior Management, and guests.
* Must be able to work with and understand financial information and data, and basic arithmetic functions.
* Ability to be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems exercising good judgment.
* Make independent decisions while maintaining strong ethical standards consistent with company policy, rules and the ability to maintain confidential information.
* Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger. Collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
* Must be able to thrive in a fast-paced, energetic environment that is constantly changing based on room occupancy and group business.
* Needs to be known as a profit-oriented person.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & FUNCTIONS
* Regularly monitor and inspect all hotel operations to ensure effective performance.
* Coordinate with the property's Yield Team (Chief Operating Officer, General Manager, Director of Sales, and Revenue Manager) to maximize room occupancy, rates and profits.
* Motivate and lead managers and associates by example.
* Build team environment and group morale.
* Be responsible for overseeing all labor cost controls within budgeted limits and occupancy variances to maximize productivity.
* Ensure clear communications with all other department heads.
* Direct day-to-day property operation in the absence of the General Manager.
* Work a varied schedule including nights and weekends and participate in the MOD program as needed.
* Be responsible for all forecasting and budgeting for the Rooms Division.
* Maintain a high visibility with all guests and associates.
* Be responsible for preparing the property for all quality assurance inspections.
* Conduct a Rooms Division "walkthrough" on a weekly basis.
* Meet and approve all "front-of-house" team prior to hire.
* Ensure effective operational accountability exists in the Rooms Division.
* Respond to all guest requests, problems, complaints, comment cards, letters and/or phone calls, in an attentive, courteous and efficient manner and follow up to ensure guest satisfaction.
* Motivate, coach, counsel and discipline personnel according to Kalahari SOP's.
* Maintain a professional working relationship and promote open lines of communication with managers, employees and other departments.
* Monitor all aspects of the computer system, including software maintenance, report generation and analysis, and simple programming.
* Monitor proper operation of the PBX console and ensure that associates maintain Kalahari SOP's in its use.
* Ensure staff greet and welcome all guests approaching service areas in accordance with Kalahari SOP's.
* Ensure implementation of all Kalahari policies and resorts rules.
* Follow and enforce all Kalahari credit policies.
* Perform other duties as requested from General Manager, Chief Operating Officer or Owner.
* Attend and participate in Rooms Division Daily Promise meetings, Manager Meetings, Rooms Division Meetings, Safety Committee Meetings, and Executive Committee Meetings.
* Comply at all times with Kalahari standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled