In a world where talent is equally distributed, but opportunity is not, iMentor is fighting to rebalance the odds and give every young person a chance to realize their dreams. iMentor builds mentoring relationships that empower students in low-income communities to graduate high school, succeed in college, and achieve their ambitions. Students work with their mentors one-on-one, in-person and online, to develop strong personal relationships, nurture a college aspiration, navigate the college application process, and build critical skills that lead to college success. In New York City, Chicago, Baltimore and the Bay Area, iMentor partners with public schools to ensure every student at the partner schools receive a mentor. iMentor also provides its curriculum, technology, and best practices to help nonprofits run effective programs in the iMentor model. Since 1999, iMentor has connected more than 25,000 students with mentors and this year, iMentor is serving nearly 9,000 students across the country.
iMentor is excited to be partnering with Baltimore City Public Schools, and the city’s diverse and passionate community of local businesses and educators to launch Baltimore, Maryland as our 4th Region in the fall of 2019. With Baltimore as our next region, we are thrilled to partner with schools and organizations that are committed to addressing the economic and racial divide that exists within the educational system. Building on the decades of work for social and economic justice, the city’s deep commitment was further galvanized following the Baltimore Uprising. We are inspired by the national conversation that the city of Baltimore continues to elevate across the country and are honored to join the work on a local level. Together, our dedicated team will build on iMentor's track record of success supporting first-generation college goers while pursuing this work with the support of local champions who have motivated iMentor to elevate our mission and voice even louder with a keen eye to diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI).
To those ends, as we partner with new regions in our five-year strategic plan, we have made an intentional push to create more diverse, equitable and inclusive work environments. Our Equity team has collaborated with DEI leaders to add an equity lens to our internal work, external programming and overall impact. In doing so, we've created a multi-year DEI strategy and set the building blocks to dismantle structural barriers to student, mentor, and employee success. We’ve forged a community where all individuals are included and feel a sense of belonging by creating space for radically candid working conditions to call out and work against inequalities rooted in race and the dominant culture. As an organization, we’re committed to hiring leaders who will take our work to the next level in service of our students and mentors all while supporting our Baltimore community. Expanding our vision of supporting students to achieve their post-secondary aspirations has never been more important and alongside our deeply dedicated champions, we will bring this specific vision and impact to Baltimore. We understand the passion, commitment, and time needed to become a Baltimore community fixture, and we are dedicated, in alignment with iMentor Values, to become #OneBaltimore.
Nationally, iMentor has been recognized through funding from many of the leading education funders in the country, including the Ballmer Group, the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation, the Robin Hood Foundation, the Bezos Family Foundation, New Profit Inc., and the Kresge Foundation. iMentor is one of the nation’s most innovative and quickly growing college success organizations. As a national organization and team, we are collaborative, fun, bring passion and joy to our work, and deeply believe in human potential. iMentor was recently named one of the Best Nonprofits to Work For by The Nonprofit Times. Read more about our work and values at: http://www.imentor.org.
iMentor is seeking a proven leader to serve as (internally known as) Director of Mentor Engagement (DME) for our Baltimore Program. Reporting to the Executive Director of iMentor Baltimore, the Director of Mentor Engagement will develop, support and oversee all strategies that will recruit, mobilize and engage a pool of high-quality, well-prepared volunteer mentors to drive college success outcomes for our mentees. They will be responsible for strategizing, creating and maintaining relationships with public, corporate, and community-based organizations and identifying outreach opportunities to expand and build a robust volunteer network. In addition to mentor recruitment efforts, the DME will create and implement a mentor engagement strategy to put the mentors at the center and placing a keen emphasis on community building, training and cultivating a top-notch experience at every step of their volunteering journey with iMentor. This person will make sure that iMentor is positioned for continued growth in quality and impact and achieving best-in-sector volunteer retention, engagement and satisfaction rates.
The ideal candidate will be an inspirational leader with experience in volunteer engagement, partnership development and management, and/or alumni engagement within a high-growth organization with a keen preference for a deep and robust knowledge of Baltimore City corporate and philanthropic landscape. The ideal candidate is an excellent public speaker and enjoys pitching and presenting to various relevant audiences. They will have significant relationship cultivation experience, with a focus on details, follow through and results, and will be motivated and energized by ambitious goals.
External Partnerships & Volunteer Recruitment
- Develop and execute iMentor Baltimore’s volunteer recruitment strategy with the goal of recruiting mentors that are representative of the gender, racial/ethnic, and professional diversity of our mentee community
- Establish, build and maintain relationships with the private, public and community-based organizations and civic groups that will support iMentor’s Baltimore recruitment efforts
- Identify and steward relationships with key high-level individuals in collaboration with the Executive Director and Baltimore Team
- Identify and pursue potential recruitment opportunities, which include attending speaking engagements, networking events, and virtual/social media tactics
- Create, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the recruitment strategy and monitor progress relative to goals. Analyze program performance data to isolate trends, report on progress toward goals, and inform recruitment, screening and training efforts
- Ensure a flawless customer service experience for volunteers while they are moving through iMentor’s recruitment and screening processes
- Collaborate with National Development and Communication teams to identify and execute volunteer appreciation initiatives, with a particular focus on increasing retention and the number of mentors who are actively promoting iMentor
Mentor Experience, Engagement & Volunteer Events
- Create and implement a regional strategy for Mentor and Volunteer Engagement from networking events to a collaborative individual giving campaign
- Oversee and provide orientation and training for new mentors and deliver training when needed. Ensure that team members are delivering high quality, engaging, and accurate training to applicants, preparing mentors to be effective college success advocates for their mentees
- Plan and execute innovative mentor engagement events including volunteer events, panel discussions, educational opportunities, speaker series, happy hours, focus groups and beyond.
- Plan, execute and assess mentor facing campaigns including recognition/appreciation and special events such as National Volunteer Week and National Mentoring Month
- Collaboration with Executive Director and regional Development team to devise and implement an annual individual/community giving strategy putting mentors at the center
Staff Management and Cross-Team Collaboration
- Manage, inspire and encourage a layered team that could consist of a Corporate and Community Engagement Manager and Volunteer Engagement Coordinator, the implementation of new strategies and initiatives critical to meeting the recruitment goals and ensuring a high-quality execution of the iMentor program
- Work closely with Sr. Director of Program, Development Team and Program Manager to implement an annual Individual Giving campaign
- Provide vision and leadership to the Baltimore team in recruiting mentors and community partners during site start-up
- Work closely with Executive Director and Sr. Director of Program in site start-up including fundraising, school partnership cultivation and beyond
- Perform other job-related duties or special projects as required by the Baltimore Executive Director
- Able to travel throughout Baltimore, about 25%, and to staff events and training on some weeknights and Saturdays; transportation not provided
- Support iMentor organization-wide initiatives
- At least eight (8) + years of work experience in a high-growth organization including at least four (4) years of staff management experience and expertise in the following areas: partnership development and management, volunteer recruitment and engagement, community organizing, sales and business development
- Proven experience and proven success meeting performance targets. Preference towards volunteer recruitment targets
- Prior exposure or experience working with corporations in the fields of healthcare, financial services, technology, internet, and/or professional services
- Excellent database management skills; Salesforce.com experience a plus
- Deep knowledge of and relationships within the Baltimore educational, civic, philanthropic, and political landscapes
- Strong networker who has the natural ability to connect people with causes and engage them to take action
- Entrepreneurial, resourceful and persistent with strong critical thinking skills with the ability to analyze data, recognize trends, and drive strategic recommendations across sectors
- Keen public speaking, writing and interpersonal skills with the ability to motivate a variety of people; intuitive, empathic communicator who can build rapport, trust, and credibility
- Willingness and ability to adjust to changing conditions or priorities
- Able to travel throughout Baltimore and to staff events and training on some weeknights and Saturdays; transportation not provided
- Aligned in thought and action with iMentor's values (http://www.imentor.org/values)
- Views differences between individuals (race, gender, age, cultural heritage, physical ability, education and lifestyle) as an asset and demonstrates an appreciation of the diversity within iMentor
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Our organization works in partnership with district public schools across the country. In doing so we must meet all compliance requirements of those districts.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Up to 100% employer funded comprehensive medical and dental coverage
- 18 days paid annual vacation and 13 paid holidays + most iMentor functions closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- 401K match up to 4%
- Significant opportunities for professional development and growth
How to Apply
Visit www.imentor.org/jobs to submit a resume and detailed cover letter describing your interest in and qualifications for the position. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so it is in candidates’ best interest to apply as soon as possible. No phone, email, mail, or fax inquiries will receive a response.
iMentor is an Equal Opportunity Employer