Behavioral Health System Baltimore (BHSB) is seeking candidates for the position of Director, Operations, to work full time, primarily out of our Baltimore City, MD office.The Director, Operations collaborates closely with the Vice President, Operations to optimize BHSB’s organizational operating capabilities to effectively advance its mission, guided by the values of the organization. This position is part of the organization’s leadership team, with responsibility for overseeing the Operations team, which supports BHSB’s daily operations and manages its data. A key priority is to develop standard and transparent processes that ensure integration and shared accountability across teams, utilizing a collaborative and data-driven approach. A major emphasis of this position involves writing policies, procedures, reports, and other documents. The position is expected to strategically plan and implement initiatives in partnership with the Vice President, Operations.
This position is within the Operations department, which works to increase the organization’s capacity to be nimble, efficient, and adaptive to change. Specifically, the goal of the department is to ensure that BHSB is effectively meeting its mission by strategically implementing, supporting and maintaining processes that align resources and decision making across departments to maximize BHSB’s capacity to advance the behavioral health and wellness of individuals, families and communities. The Operations Department achieves this by developing and maintaining a robust and secure electronic network, using analytics that facilitate a data-driven approach to the work, providing operational support to cross-organizational processes and functions, and by providing medical consultation to support the clinical work of various teams. In addition, the Operations Department oversees the organizational-wide implementation of the strategic plan.
1. Process leadership
- Facilitate collaborative workgroups and other ongoing processes to integrate BHSB’s work across teams and departments
- Collaborate with the other members of the leadership team to oversee and manage the daily operations of the organization
- Collaborate with the Vice President, Operations and staff across the organization to write the annual plan and other reports and documents
- Collaborate with the Vice President, Operations to ensure organization-wide compliance with the rules and regulations in the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Facilitate collaborative approaches to develop organizational procedures
- Facilitate cross-departmental meetings, modeling an approach that operationalizes BHSB’s values of equity, quality, collaboration, integrity, and innovation
- Collaborate with members of the Funding & Contracting Workgroup to develop and maintain processes across departments and teams to ensure funding is managed with a high level of efficiency, accuracy, compliance, and customer service
- Collaborate with staff across the organization to ensure the Contract Management System (CMS) supports BHSB’s contracting processes
- Collaborate with the Vice President, Operations to oversee implementation of the organization’s strategic plan
- Collaborate with staff across the organization to write grant proposals and reports
- Clearly and appropriately communicate processes and other information to staff using multiple modes and engaging approaches to support adult learning, including written and spoken
2. Team management
- Oversee and guide the daily activities of the Operations team
- Lead the Operations team in developing and implementing innovative and data-driven processes that leverage technology to increase the efficiency and accuracy of BHSB’s operations
- Collaborate with the Data team to advance BHSB’s capacity to use data to inform decision making
- Ensure effective collaborative partnerships among the Operations team members and with internal and external partners
- Attract, develop, coach, and retain high-performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control, and performance
- Implement team operations aligned with the organization’s vision, mission, values and strategic plan.
- Oversee participation of Operations team members in internal workgroups to ensure collaboration amongst cross-organizational teams
- Work effectively and collaboratively with others, both internally and externally
- Serve as part of BHSB’s disaster response team as needed, in any capacity that is needed
- Perform other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible supervisory and operational experience in a nonprofit, private sector, governmental system, or behavioral healthcare provider. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in system oversight capacity and managing the finances, contracts, and budgets of a nonprofit organization
- Deep commitment to the infusion of racial equity and social justice principles into all areas of work
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are essential
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations that guide expenditure of public funds
- Knowledge of the public behavioral health system
- Knowledge of emerging trends in health care financing
- Proven track record of demonstrating sound independent judgment to determine appropriate course of action in resolving problems and implementing project goals
- Ability to work effectively with behavioral health stakeholders, community leaders, service providers and consumers
- Ability to communicate effectively in an interdisciplinary, culturally diverse setting with staff, stakeholders, and regulatory agencies
- Ability to develop and lead collaborative teams to facilitate critical thinking and problem-solving
- Experience recruiting, managing, and developing a strong team of staff and program/project professionals
- Proactive, hands-on experience in managing a variety of initiatives
- Experience using data to inform decision making
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective computer skills
This position supervises seven positions.
It is expected that everyone at BHSB respect individual rights, treats everyone with courtesy and consideration and maintains mutual respect in our working relationships. Together we can all take part in making each working day enjoyable and rewarding. Everyone’s responsibility is to know their own duties, how to do them effectively, promptly, and pleasantly, and how to build positive working relationships with others both internally at BHSB and externally with our customers and system stakeholders. In these ways we hope to promote an atmosphere in keeping with BHSB’s vision, mission, and values.
Typical Physical/Mental Demands and Working Conditions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, use fingers and hands to type or write; reach with hands and arms. Occasional light lifting, such as three to four reams of paper or other materials (up to 20 pounds) may be required.
This position is typically performed in a traditional office environment; however, the individual is also required to travel to other locations for meetings and other business-related needs. Ability to travel locally 20% of the time is required. It is important to have access to some form of transportation to travel to off-site meetings, conferences, and site visits.
BHSB offers its employees a competitive benefits plan which includes and is not restricted to comprehensive Medical and HRA, Dental and Vision coverage, as well as a choice of four FSA plans and an employee paid Legal benefit. BHSB offers employer paid life insurance, short-term and long-term disability as well as a 403(b) plan and generous PTO.
Behavioral Health System Baltimore is a nonprofit organization that provides leadership in advancing behavioral health and wellness. We advocate for and help guide innovative approaches to prevention, early intervention, treatment and recovery to help build healthier individuals, stronger families and safer communities.
BHSB’s mission is to develop, implement and align resources, programs and policies that support the behavioral health and wellness of individuals, families and communities. BHSB envisions a city where people live and thrive in communities that promote and support behavioral health and wellness. BHSB strives to embody Integrity, Equity, Innovation, Collaboration and Quality in all of our work. We work to demonstrate cultural competence and a commitment to the infusion of equity and inclusion principles into all areas of our work.
BHSB respects and values diversity and is committed to creating a culture that is inclusive. BHSB is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of BHSB to administer all phases of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, employment, promotion, placement, transfer, demotion, compensation, benefits, professional development practices, termination and other employment related practices without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, immigration status, marital status, disability, pregnancy, military/veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other legally protected status.
BHSB strives to embody Integrity, Equity, Innovation, Collaboration and Quality in all of our work. We work to demonstrate cultural competence and a commitment to the infusion of equity and inclusion principles into all areas of our work.
- Strategic Thinking
- Organizational Orientation
- Critical Thinking
- Customer Orientation
- Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
- Functional Expert: Considered a thought leader on a subject
- Goal Completion: Inspired to perform well by the completion of tasks
- Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization