Bristol-Myers Squibb is a global Biopharma company committed to a single mission: to discover, develop, and deliver innovative medicines focused on helping millions of patients around the world in disease areas such as oncology, cardiovascular, immunoscience and fibrosis.
Join us and make a difference. We hire the best people and provide them with a work environment that places a premium on diversity, integrity, collaboration and personal development. Through a culture of inclusion, we create a better, more productive work environment. We believe that the diverse experiences and perspectives of all our employees help to drive innovation and transformative business results.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF POSITION:
The Cell Therapy CMC Business Development lead will possess strong scientific expertise in the life sciences, biopharmaceutical industry and technology evaluation leadership (for Senior Director) / experience (for Director), in cell/gene therapy or closely related areas. The candidate will have the ability to think holistically and long-term across a broad spectrum of technologies, scientific approaches and CMC strategies in cell therapy. A deep understanding of the drug discovery, CMC development, and regulatory processes is required. The candidate will interface with corporate business development, representing CMC, and serve as a liaison to the Cell Therapy CMC leadership team. The position requires objective evaluation of CMC aspects of business development opportunities, interfacing with early research, clinical and commercial, including assessment against current portfolio. Within BMS, the candidate is required to have strong personal skills and work with multiple internal stakeholders to drive and support highly visible and time-sensitive business development projects. Furthermore, the candidate will be able to co-lead (for Senior Director) / partner (for Director) with the Transactions team to develop and deliver technical assessments and evaluations in cell therapy field to the relevant BMS governance bodies. The Cell Therapy Business Development leader will serve as a point of contact for Cell Therapy Development & Operations (CTDO), within Global Product Supply, with Corporate Business Development in the review of licensing opportunities as well as merger, acquisition, alliance management activities in support of BMS’ overall BD Strategy.
This job reports in through Bristol Myers Squibb’s Head of Cell Therapy CMC Strategy and Life Cycle Management and works closely with other process owners, Cell Therapy senior leadership, and Cell Therapy subject matter experts. This is an exciting opportunity to shape the future of our Cell Therapy business. The job may be located in Seattle, Washington or Warren, New Jersey.
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives
ROLE and REQUIRED COMPETENCIES: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Lead, coordinate and drive evaluation and diligence deliverables across Cell Therapy Development & Operations (CTDO) functions, SME’s and governance
- Summarize and present due diligence findings and contract positions to CTDO Leadership team including contingency plans to mitigate identified risks and secure approvals
- Help facilitate formation of scientific and technical cross functional team of CTDO scientists and engineers as appropriate
- Build and maintain strong partnerships and credibility with internal teams (R&D and Corp BD as well as functions across CTDO) and external partners
- Effectively communicate CTDO interests at internal governance committees
- Support deal negotiations and contracting for CTDO related terms
- Lead generation of Cost of Goods (COGs) estimates with Cell Therapy finance to enable financial evaluation of assets and to support development of financial flows delivering the most benefit to BMS
- Represent CTDO during contract reviews and negotiations with potential partners
- Facilitate integration of assets post transaction into both R&D and CTDO as needed
- Demonstrate leadership and scientific rigor while collaborating closely with internal BD, Enterprise Strategy, R&D and Commercial stakeholders and potential external partners and other sources of opportunities.
- Ability to multi-task in balancing large book of work while ensuring consistent attention and prioritization of most critical and visible projects.
- Serve as thought partner to formulate (for Senior Director) / to facilitate formulation of (for Director) Cell Therapy strategy (e.g., focus indications, target MOAs, potential partners, etc.) while driving the execution of external business development elements.
- Manage and coach direct reports and/or matrix team members as applicable Strong analytical, communication, and leadership skills.
- Proven ability to efficiently lead multiple projects in a matrixed environment with a high degree of independence.
- Consistently delivers on commitments in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate ideas and lead others to accomplish challenging goals and objectives.
- Experience working with both internal and external multidisciplinary teams/customers.
- Can-do attitude and ability to work in a highly matrixed and dynamic business environment including ability to interact and communicate to senior level executives.
- Deep scientific curiosity and commitment to advancing therapeutic innovation that provides better options for patients.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced degree in chemical engineering/biotechnology or related discipline required, Ph.D. is preferred.
- Senior Director: 12-15+ years of pharmaceutical development experience, preferably cell therapy development, with exposure to all stages and aspects of product development
- Director: 8-10+ years of pharmaceutical development experience, preferably cell therapy development, with exposure to all stages and aspects of product development
- Experience in technology assessments and CMC development highly preferred
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this position. The primary duties and responsibilities are intended to describe those functions that are essential to the performance of this job.
This job description does not state or imply that the above are the only duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. There are other duties and responsibilities that are considered incidental or secondary to the overall purpose of this job. Employees holding this position will be required to perform any other job-related duties as requested by management.
Bristol-Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.