Xperi invents, develops and delivers technologies that enable extraordinary experiences. We make entertainment more entertaining, and smart devices smarter.
From the home to the car to everywhere in between, managing content and connections in a way that is smart, immersive, and personal is precisely what Xperi’s technologies do.
Our inventions are foundational to the global entertainment ecosystem and our products and data improve every aspect of the digital entertainment experience, from choice to consumption.
Content markets are changing, fast. Consumers face a simultaneously expanding and fragmenting set of choices. Xperi technology cuts through the chaos, putting us at the forefront of fast-moving trends in streaming, digital entertainment, and AI applications – in any environment.
Xperi is at the heart of extraordinary experiences.
We can’t wait to show you what’s next.
Xperi is seeking an experienced individual to contribute to the success of its Intellectual Property (IP) & Licensing Department. The ideal candidate will be someone who is a self-starter, energetic & proactive, able to work independently & conduct patent harvesting sessions, able to understand market applicability of inventions, strong leadership and management qualities, and one that brings significant patent prosecution and industry experience to assist the IP & Licensing team in the development of the Xperi patent portfolio in support of various Company initiatives.
Ideally the successful candidate will possess a broad understanding and knowledge of Xperi technologies, including: EPG/IPG, search and recommendation, personalization, metadata, analytics, and advertising. Direct knowledge of and technical/industry experience with Interactive TV, VOD, DVR, and OTT technologies is preferred. Understanding of patent process from invention generation to filing for patent application is a must.
- Provide assistance in the continued development of the world’s largest active digital entertainment discovery portfolio and implementation of patent strategy and processes.
- Strong portfolio management
- Assisting development of Xperi robust patent portfolio by working with inventors across the Company to develop and capture ideas
- Assisting inventors in preparing invention disclosures forms
- Conducting regular invention mining and brainstorm activities locally and across the Company
- Pre-vetting invention disclosures prior to presenting at the Patent Committee
- Preparing and present invention disclosures to the Patent Committee
- Supervising patent prosecution
- Supporting patent application preparation of approved inventions by attending invention disclosure interviews, reviewing prior art, providing technical support during drafting and review stages of application preparation, and reviewing claims prior to filing
- Prior to product launches, ensure IP protection and non-infringement of 3rd party IP
- Acting as a liaison to the inventor from the point of developing their idea to successfully having their idea
- Managing a docket of cases by reviewing office actions and responses, providing guidance to outside counsel during key points of the patent lifecycle including international filing decisions, providing recommendations for prosecution for US and international cases including continuations, divisional, RCE, and abandonments recommendations
- Presenting background and summary of allowed cases to other IP functions, including litigation and assertion teams, and taking corrective actions where recommended
- Providing regular docket analysis of features covered by top cases within the docket
- Generate informative reports and charts that summarize the efforts of the patent group
- Working closely with outside counsel to insure they receive regular feedback on prosecution, as well as, market trends by reviewing claims charts
- Conducting annuity review analysis and implementing monthly trimming process
Assisting with evaluation of third party portfolios for potential acquisitions or partnerships
- Minimum 7 years of legal experience, preferably in Xperi's technical space. Deep technical understanding of technologies that power discovery of digital entertainment, operations and user features of cloud-based video platforms operated by MSOs, and Over-the-Top providers (e.g. adaptive bit streaming, multi-screen video, content delivery networks, etc.)
- Must have prior in-house prosecution management experience
- Current member of a state bar and USPTO bar in good standing
- Graduate of top-tier law school
- CS, EE, or Mathematics degree strongly preferred
- Must be proficient with manipulating Excel spreadsheets and able to generate complex PowerPoint
- Must be able to demonstrate understanding of claim drafting techniques that address recent Supreme Court and Federal Circuit decisions
- Must have drafted or reviewed 200+ patent applications, preferably post Alice decision
- Demonstrated knowledge of using IP analytical tools, such as Innography and IP management tools, such as Lecorpio
- Must demonstrate a common sense, practical approach and a willingness to work both in a team and independently
- Must be able to manage outside counsel and department budget
- Must have good awareness of Xperi's business strategy, products and services
- Must be able to express ideas and communicate effectively, particularly in writing
- Must have enthusiasm and drive, ability to integrate quickly into the existing team, ability to schedule own workload and plan tasks, and willingness to be flexible and accept new challenges
Benefits & Perks:
Our employees and their families are important to us and our comprehensive pay, stocks and benefits programs reflect that. Xperi supports personal well-being, builds financial security, and enables employees to share in the success of Xperi. Rewards include:
- Competitive compensation (salary, equity and bonuses) and comprehensive benefits designed to foster work-life balance, care for your health, protect your finances, and help you save and invest for the future.
- Generous paid time away from work including vacation, holidays, sick time, and 2 days of paid time off each year to serve and learn through Xperi Community Outreach.
- Great perks, which vary by location and can include: employee discounts, transportation reimbursements, subsidized cafes and fitness facilities, conveniences such as dry cleaning and car washes, and recycling programs.
Xperi is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer