Sema4 is a patient-centered health intelligence company founded on the idea that more information, deeper analysis, and increased engagement will improve the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of disease. Sema4 is dedicated to transforming healthcare by building dynamic models of human health and defining optimal, individualized health trajectories, starting in the areas of reproductive health and oncology. Centrellis™, our innovative health intelligence platform, is enabling us to generate a more complete understanding of disease and wellness and to provide science-driven solutions to the most pressing medical needs. Sema4 believes that patients should be treated as partners, and that data should be shared for the benefit of all.
Sema4 is seeking a Director, Pharma Business Development who will sell Sema4’s genetic testing, sequencing, data and analytics capabilities and build partnerships with pharmaceutical and life science organizations. This role involves having a well-established set of relevant existing pharma contacts and a deep understanding of how to identify opportunities within pharmaceutical and life science organizations, including but not limited to: identifying potential partnership targets, selling sequencing, data, and analytics services and solutions, understanding how Sema4’s capabilities can be used to develop a successful partnership to support our strategic objectives, and engaging with potential partners and commercial team members to execute and implement partnerships.
The ideal candidate has experience developing strategic partnerships around sequencing, data, and analytics with pharmaceutical and life science organizations, experience with client services in an externally facing role, and an understanding of genetics, genomics, electronic medical record data, and data science.
- Develop and implement a strategy to drive business development for new partnerships with pharmaceutical and life science companies
- Personally drive business development activities
- Develop and implement business development playbook for pipeline and deal execution
- Track, manage and report on Pharma and Life Sciences pipeline
- Leverage cross-functional teams across Finance, Legal, Strategy & Marketing, Sales, and Research & Development, as needed, to support new and developing partnerships
- Identify, evaluate, and contact prospective pharmaceutical and life science companies whose mission is aligned with Sema4’s strategic interest
- Engage prospective pharmaceutical and life science clients and articulate Sema4’s data expertise and proprietary offerings
- Manage relationships and communication with pharmaceutical and life science clients
- Manage and execute the end-to-end selling process with pharmaceutical and life science clients
- Develop and maintain key relationships with pharmaceutical and life science clients, partners to drive additional new business, and communicate account activity to Sema4’s internal stakeholders
- Grow high-level relationships in targeted Pharma accounts to support their Biomarker research and clinical trials
- Coordinate with other teams to design the most competitive solutions for each potential pharma partner across Oncology and other disease areas
- Grow our sponsored genetic testing business and identify pharma programs in need of this program
- Partner with the Alliance Management team to manage and expand business within existing accounts and identify new opportunities for account growth
- Bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in Business Administration or the life sciences required; MD, PhD, MBA or advanced degree with a focus in the life sciences preferred
- Extensive experience (10+ years) building and growing partnership programs with pharmaceutical and life science companies in a business development, service sales, or professional consulting role.
- Ability to independently procure and lead meetings with potential partners (VP level and above) at pharmaceutical and life science organizations, drawing from a substantial existing set of senior (including many VP and above) client contacts and other relationships
- Demonstrated track record of consistently meeting and exceeding revenue targets
- Ability to partner with clients and recommend solutions to add value to their business
- Ability to work with a wide variety of partners, across therapeutic areas, and technologies
- Understanding of and ability to confidently speak about the drug development process, clinical trials, and internal pharmaceutical organizational processes preferred
- Understanding of molecular biology and profiling technologies including next generation sequencing preferred
- Working understanding of genomics and clinical trials services and familiarity with data science, clinical research and analytics
- Established experience working with Life Sciences or diagnostic companies providing genomic testing services and Real World Data
- Familiarity with the drug development process and a good understanding of the utility of genomic data in supporting clinical trial
- Comfortable in startup and rapid-growth environments
- Individual who is mission-driven and excited about Sema4’s mission