The Prospect Management and Research Director’s primary duties are to identify and analyze new potential individual sources of financial support, conduct portfolio reviews with frontline staff, and conduct research and generate materials on donors and prospects in support of the fundraising activities of Joslin’s Development Office.
In the current environment, this role will allow for remote/virtual interviewing as well as having the ability to begin remotely.
- Oversee all prospect research and portfolio management activities undertaken for the benefit of Joslin Diabetes Center.
- Foster a culture of strategic partnership and donor-centric service with frontline fundraisers, and promote efforts to collaborate with all Development units.
- In collaboration with the Senior Director of Development, Operations, set strategic goals for the research operation, including annual quantitative and qualitative goals; and manage, evaluate and report progress towards these goals on a quarterly basis.
- Maintain ongoing communication with Development staff to meet their research and portfolio needs. Work with gift officers to review prospect assignments, collaborate on strategies around new donors/patients with wealth, review qualified prospects, provide research updates and train gift officers on new research policies or prospect management protocols.
- Analyze and strategize prospective donors’ gift potential, affinity, readiness to give, special interests, and connections to Joslin. Recommend strategies for contacting and engaging prospective donors.
- Conduct proactive & reactive prospect research using a variety of methods and sources. Devise new ways to secure information of critical importance to the effective solicitation of significant constituents of Joslin. Record all information in The Raiser’s Edge (RE) and NXT.
- Write confidential research documents on individual prospects and provide prospect reports to Joslin Development staff and Joslin leadership.
- Benchmark, establish and maintain best practice methodologies for research techniques, reporting templates, and all process documentation. Manage against deadlines and ensure overall quality of research deliverables.
- Compile data and utilize data mining and predictive modeling techniques to identify new prospects, create travel lists for local, statewide, regional and global prospecting.
- Manage the suspect pools and prospect pipelines for all program areas by conducting data analysis, screening daily donor and patient records, implementing information protocols, and managing data in RE and NXT.
- Track daily news reports and keep updated information on top donors, grateful patients, board members, local and global events, potential donors, business intelligence and industry trends.
- Prepare event attendee reports in relation to Signature and Cultivation Events for gift officers, senior leaders, key staff and trustees/volunteers.
- Recommend prospect research and management policies and procedures, updating as needed.
- Manage prospect management and research budget and subscriptions, including liaising with all associated vendors, such as: WealthEngine, Target Analytics, Lexis Nexis, Foundation Directory, and iWave Pro Platinum.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 7-10 years of development experience in prospect management, research, fundraising, and/or market analysis; experience in academic medicine or healthcare highly preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Familiarity with business, wealth and relationship databases such as LexisNexis, Dun & Bradstreet and The Raiser’s Edge
- Demonstrated project management and problem solving skills, including organizational skills to meet goals and objectives through effective program and project planning
- Proficiency in conducting donor research with experience in recognizing and assessing wealth indicators and giving capacity
- Strong analytical skills; able to manipulate, analyze and synthesize data and present findings that are clear and actionable
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Experience working in a fast‐paced, results‐oriented environment and demonstrated flexibility in meeting shifting demands and priorities
- High degree of professionalism, ethical sensitivity, confidentiality and discretion; proven ability to apply good judgment and responsible decision-making
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- Employee Events
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Prescription Drug Coverage
- Vacation/paid time off
- Subsidized Commuting
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Gym Memberships
- Employee Referral Program
- Military Leave
- Paid Holidays
- Paid sick days
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Professional Development
- Tuition Reimbursement
Research and Development Director