You bring your body, mind, heart and spirit to your work as a Director Risk and Patient Safety.
You’re equally comfortable in the board room and the hospital hallways. You work with high reliability organizations and manage risk both with a proactive approach as well as with a claims resolution background.
You’re great at what you do, but you want to be part of something even greater. Because you believe that while individuals can be strong, the right team is invincible.
As a key member of the System Quality Department this role reports to the Sr. Director Quality Resources under the Chief Quality Officer.
System Service: is our Corporate Headquarters in Broomfield, Colorado and is located within the Oracle campus. SCL Health is a faith-based, nonprofit healthcare organization dedicated to improving the well-being of the people we serve.
Benefits are one of the ways we encourage health for you and your family. Our generous package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. But health is more than a well-working body: it encompasses body, mind and social well-being. To that end, we’ve launched a Healthy Living program to address your holistic health. Healthy Living includes financial incentives, digital tools, tobacco cessation, classes, counseling and paid time off. We also offer financial wellness tools and retirement planning.
Together we’ll align mission and careers, values and workplace. We’ll encourage joy and take pride in our integrity.
We’ll laugh at each other’s jokes (even the bad ones). We’ll hello and high five. We’ll celebrate milestones and acknowledge the value of spirituality in healing.
We’re proud of what we know, which includes how much there is to learn.
As a Director Risk and Patient Safety you need to know how to:
- Advance a system-wide philosophy that promotes a culture of reliability, patient safety, mitigation of risk, and the elimination of avoidable harm.
- Support eight care sites with leadership, consultation, and support for improved clinical outcomes and harm reduction strategies.
- Develop proactive solutions to improve care processes (e.g. forcing functions, checklists, error causation thinking, human factors, applied informatics, culture) by encouraging principles of reliable design.
- Utilize alerts and best practices (e.g. Sentinel Event Alerts) to perform gap assessments and facilitate strong actions that will alleviate identified gaps. Identify and mitigate Risk exposure.
- Facilitate thorough and credible serious event analysis at the care sites that result in strong sustainable improvement strategies.
- Create Systemness through credible and timely FMEA’s, RCA’s and SEA’s to identify and mitigate unintended adverse patient outcomes and evaluate effectiveness of process changes that are shared across sites.
- Actively participate in patient safety organization (PSO) learning collaboratives. Ensure implementation of best practices, alerts, and updates to drive patient safety improvement.
- Champion completion of Culture of Safety Survey and facilitate analysis of results such that data-driven action plans lead to targeted outcomes.
- Support and encourage harm reporting throughout the System through a just culture algorithm that identifies process improvement opportunities and also supports an individual accountability system.
We hire people, not resumes. But we also expect excellence, which is why we require:
- Bachelor’s degree in a clinical field
- Master’s degree
- Certified Professional in Patient Safety (CPPS) and Certified Professional in Healthcare Risk Management (CPHRM).
- Minimum of five years acute care experience in patient safety and risk (can be combined). Health system experience a plus.
- Minimum of five years of clinical experience.
Now that you know more about being a Director Risk and Patient Safety on our team we hope you’ll join us. At SCL Health you’ll reaffirm every day how much you love this work, and why you were called to it in the first place.