Octagon Talent Solutions is in search of a Director Software Development that has experience leading the tactical direction and administrative aspects of the software development team. You will be responsible for the development, implementation and maintenance of software applications and upgrade implementations. You will develop and implement operational plans and procedures for maintaining operations standards, documentation and practices. This is a high level role - while you will be hands-on from an enterprise architecture perspective, you will also be responsible for budgeting, managing P&L and selling ROI for solutions to the business, as IT may be considered more advanced than the business in this organization. The team that is existing is centered around excellence; they are collaborative, strategic and expect the same in the next addition to the team!
- Experience managing software development team
- Manages and assigns user project, enhancement and service requests. Defines new system requirements, and prepares detailed written specifications for staff.
- Ensures that adequate source code and documentation standards are established, maintained, and adhered to by the programming staff.
- Establishes and maintains programming related standards and internal policies. Ensures, SDLC operating standards such as; Scrum Agile, and Kanban are followed.
- Manages and schedules staff meetings, as appropriate, to discuss and plan project initiatives and timelines.
- Collaborates with managing director for approval, regarding the implementation of all project initiatives.
- plans the full range of systems and programming activities required to implement, integrate enhance, or modify systems and programs.
- Communicates with the Managing Director, users, and other personnel as needed, to define system requirements, recommend solutions for application enhancements, and identify and resolve complex programming problems.
- Initiates and coordinates plans, communications and meetings with users and other personnel as needed, to discuss project development and status. Maintains open communication with users and personnel as needed via written documents, email and/or telephone. Keeps the Managing Director apprised of progress and problems.
- Coordinates with the project management and scrum teams, on project implementations, as required.
- Attends management level meetings to discuss project implementation schedules and statuses.
- Offers recommendations to the Managing Director regarding the development and implementation of progressive software development standards, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains effective communication with the Director regarding development team issues and strategies.
- May be required to assist Managing Director, and/or other units, with special project assignments.
- Five years or more work experience directly related to ERP / SIS Banner information system/process analysis, relational database development, and data management/storage.
- Proficiency in database development using the Standard Query Language (PSQL and SQL) and Microsoft Access.
- Strong knowledge of object-oriented development tools and compilers, including JAVA, and Visual C++.
- Oracle experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science.
- Previous experience programming database applications.