This position will report directly to the Chief of Staff and take direction from the Chief Executive Officer.
TO APPLY: This recruitment will have a review of applications beginning November 25, 2019. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
- Lead the effort to create a sustainability vision for the Authority encompassing people, profit and planet. Develop the business case to address sustainability issues.
- Secure and leverage senior level commitment and support for integrating sustainable development into core processes and decision-making.
- Lead the formulation of the Authority's long-term sustainability vision, mission and operating principles, and lead the development of a high-level strategy to support them.
- Collaborate with the Authority's internal departments (for example Operations, Finance, Program Delivery, Marketing & Communications, Strategy) to develop a coordinated sustainability plan. Build sustainability principles into short and long-range strategic planning, capital planning and operations planning.
- Form and lead an internal, cross-departmental Sustainability Steering Committee that will help shape and initially oversee the launch of the Sustainability effort of the Authority. Oversee and define the scope of the Committee, short term and long term. Appoint the Committee members, define the scope of duties, responsibilities and assign the Committee accountabilities.
- Serve as the internal leader and "go to" expert for sustainability, monitoring emerging trends, programs and issues (including First Mile/Last Mile), and communicating and educating others on sustainability topics.
- Serve as the central point of contact for any and all interfaces with customers on the subject of Sustainability. This includes being the lead interface with customers relative to their inquiries, their requests for information on Authority efforts in support of Sustainability, and any and all written and verbal communications to customers on the subject of Sustainability. As necessary, collaborate with internal subject matter experts to ensure appropriate responses and communications.
- Identify and prioritize areas for institutional sustainability efforts and recommend strategies for proactively addressing relevant sustainability issues.
- Foster a culture of sustainability through ongoing organizational communications and education.
- Offer expertise and provide leadership-level support for initiatives to reduce company-wide resource consumption and waste generation.
- Assess the organization's current sustainability performance and identify and prioritize the organization's key sustainability issues.
- Formulate action plans with defined objectives, targets and responsibilities to support agreed upon sustainability strategies.
- Ensure appropriate internal controls and measurement systems are in place to support sustainability efforts.
- Measure and monitor progress against sustainability strategies, objectives and performance targets.
- Approve all purchase orders within authorized limits and obtain further approvals.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- A minimum of (8) years of work experience in public policy, sustainability, or transportation function.
- Ability to complete task within budget and on time.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
- Demonstrate strong and effective communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate strong and effective organizational and time management skills.
- Possess high level of analytical skill to review and interpret a variety of data, including trends and survey data related to contractor performance, customer requirements, and safety.
- Demonstrate prior work experience in an environment where the candidate is focused on improving business results and outcomes through customer driven state-of-the art practices and programs.
- Demonstrate ability to exercise sound judgment in decision-making when working with staff, consultants and contractors.
- Valid Class C Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record of no more than three moving violations and no DUI's within the last three years.
- Master's Degree in related field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND PHYSICAL ABILITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Strong problem solving and analysis skills
- Strong teamwork and interpersonal skills
- Exhibits sound judgment and professionalism in all aspects of the position
- Able to differentiate between conflicting priorities and issues to identify underlying causes
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks and assess priorities effectively
- Transition between standing, walking and sitting at varying lengths of time
- Climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl
- Use hands to finger, handle, feel and grasp tools to perform the duties of the position
- Ability to lift, hold and move objects up to 25 lbs.
- Hear and perceive the nature of sounds
- Listen and express or exchange ideas by means of spoken words
- Adjust visual focus
Position requires work in a normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, or temperature. Based on job duties, work may also be conducted in outdoor environments, at construction sites, railroad track and right-of-way environments, and warehouse environments, with possible exposure to individuals who are hostile or irate, moving mechanical parts, and loud noises (85+ decibels, such as trains, heavy trucks, construction, etc.).
Following a review of resumes and/or applications, the most highly qualified candidates will be invited to continue in the selection process. Eligible applicants will be notified of the exact time and place of assessments and interview. Candidates will be interviewed to determine their relative knowledge, skills and ability in job related areas. Offers of employment may be contingent upon successful completion of a reference check, including degree verification and criminal records check provided through SCRRA .
Internal Candidates: Employees with active discipline as defined in the HR Policy No. 5.3 Positive Discipline Program and/or with performance that does not meet the standard for "meets expectations" as defined in the Performance Planning and Appraisal Process may be precluded from consideration and placement in the position.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the SCRRA will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
The SCRRA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. EEO/ADA
- Paid Holidays
- Paid sick days
- Employee Referral Program
- Subsidized Commuting
- Retirement / Pension Plans
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Professional Development
- Employee Events
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Maternity/Paternity Paid Leave
- Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Vacation/paid time off