The Director of Data Engineering will be responsible for building and executing technical data solutions within Enterprise Data Office.
They will be part of the Data Delivery team within Enterprise Data Office (EDO). Their focus will be in support of Group Benefits, Claims and Corporate/Enterprise business functions.
As we are transforming from traditional on-premises solutions to a hybrid cloud solution, we are adopting high velocity software engineering and agile practices.
In order to achieve this, we are looking for a forward looking data engineer lead who is passionate about data management life cycle practices, can ensure discipline and rigor is built into the data services fabric as we persist and move data in a hybrid cloud environment. This leader will bring cross functional teams together to accelerate design and create a sustainable delivery pipeline.
The ideal candidate is a senior technical leader who has proven experience designing and delivering complex data assets.
They will drive the creation of a roadmap to transition the data factory from traditional to newer technologies. They will be accountable for ensuring consistency of design solutions across the portfolio.
They will partner closely with the data strategy/architecture team to build out the implementation roadmap.
- Drive design solutions for the accountable portfolio through consistency, adherence and adoption
- Identify and solve large scale data processing on hybrid cloud environments
- The solution must place rigor on data management practices, ensuring transparency of data persisted and moved (lineage). The solution would be increasing capture and use of metadata to enable compliance and quality, ingestion, enrichment, provisioning/information delivery, data access, consumption, data migration and data lifecycle management
- Be familiar with various public and private cloud platforms and their data services, ensuring that we can implement integrated end-to-end solutions. Identify opportunities to take advantage of cloud provider and open source technology advancements; bring forth options for decision making
- Implement DevOps methodologies and processes to improve speed of delivery
- Work closely with data strategy/architecture to deliver on the reference architecture
- Partner with data science and business intelligence stakeholders to ensure the technology solutions deliver to their needs
- Actively participate in the hiring process for technical talent and coach key technical leads
- Create energy around embracing Cloud technologies and create a culture of continuous learning
- Effectively communicate the big picture and clear plan to execute
- Build commitment and empower others, communicate with clarity, courage and timeliness
- 12+ years of experience in data engineering and data management
- Experience in building large scale data warehouses
- Experience in distributed and NoSQL database technologies
- Experience with technologies like Talend Data Fabric and Snowflake
- Experience in design of data pipelines and big data core data services
- Expertise in cloud based platforms (AWS), services and technologies related to big data and data management – S3, Athena, Kubernetes, Glue, RDS, Redshift, etc.
- Experience with Spark, Java / Spring (service implementations), Kafka, Spark Streaming, etc.
- Proven experience in migrating data processing from on-prem to cloud
- Solid understanding of software delivery (CI/CD), artifacts and tooling automation
- Solid understanding of API Gateways (IBM Datapower, Apigee)
- Familiarity with microservice, event driven architectures, and serverless architectures
- Shows passion for hands-on work in the data engineering and data management space with a focus to bring them together to control at scale while improving data provisioning and consumption velocity
- Excellent organizational, communication, influence and execution skills
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age
Job Data Engineering
Primary Location: United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Education Level:Bachelor's Degree (±16 years)
Shift Day Job
Employee Status: Regular
Overtime Status: Exempt
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Posting:Feb 15, 2019, 3:17:18 PM
Remote Worker Option:No