Tax Counsel will assist in providing tax advisory services on matters related to Guardian’s insurance products, payroll, employee benefit taxation, information reporting & withholding, and other tax issues as needed. This position will work collaboratively with legal, payroll, compensation and benefits, as well as finance and operational areas. Technical knowledge of federal and state tax law will be required as well as an ability to research, understand and apply those rules to help meet business objectives. Also important is the ability to manage competing deadlines and interpersonal skills to build strong relationships with business partners.
This role reports to the Second Vice President, Counsel, Tax who in turn reports to the Senior Vice President, Chief Tax Officer.
- Partners with business areas as a resource for tax issues related to life insurance and annuities. Provide technical support to the Operations areas to resolve issues relating to the day to day administration of products.
- Provide technical and legal support on the taxation of group disability, term life insurance, paid family leave and supplemental health benefits.
- Partners with Guardian’s human resource area on the taxation of employee benefits, payroll tax issues, including payroll audits, the taxation of deferred compensation arrangements, including FICA and federal and state income tax withholding.
- Partners with and advises multiple business areas on information reporting and withholding issues. Handle all aspects of IRS remediations.
- Provide ongoing advice to compliance, legal and operations regarding customer complaints relating to tax reporting and related compliance issues.
- Research, analysis, advice, and to draft memoranda on a variety of tax issues that may arise.
- Monitor and communicate implications of industry developments and changes in tax law.
- Represent Guardian in ACLI meetings and other industry groups.
- Network within those groups.
- Assist with the design and implementation of tax policies and completion of special projects and assignments on an as needed basis.
- Manage relationships with outside advisors.
- Technical expertise in tax law.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and be able to handle intermediate level matters and resolve some complex issues using sound legal judgment.
- Flexibility, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and communication skills
- Ability to work well with all levels of management
- Independent thinker with self-initiative
- Ability and desire to learn quickly and apply concepts to add value to company
- Takes a team approach when working with co-workers
At least 3-5 years of experience in corporate tax counsel work required
JD degree; Bar Admission
Guardian® is a registered trademark of the Guardian Life Insurance Company of America.
Guardian is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, creed, religion, sex, affectional or sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, marital status, disability, military or veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.