More Information about this Job
Job Title: Dispatcher
Reports To: Communications Supervisor
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Under the direction of the Communications Supervisor, the Dispatcher is responsible for, but not limited to receiving and processing requests for medical transportation, obtaining necessary information from agencies, facilities, the public and others requesting service, system status management application, dispatching, coordinating the appropriate personnel in response to service requests, processing requests by field crews for assistance, facilitating information flow between administrative staff and field personnel, and performing necessary clerical functions. The Dispatcher promotes a positive working environment through effective communication and system status management. The Dispatcher models and acts in accordance with AMR’s values and delivers on the brand promise of responsive, reliable, and respected.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Monitor, update, and control the location and movement of field units.
- Receive incoming emergency and non-emergency calls and promptly ascertains proper levels of response; allocate resources to match dynamic system demand
- Process incoming emergency and non-emergency calls through use of a protocol driven software application.
- Monitor and document response times of units.
- Answer administrative calls and respond to administrative questions, requests and dispatch medical support personnel.
- Maintain excellent knowledge of company and departmental policies, operating procedures, and medical protocols.
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge of all Communication Center equipment including telephone, radios, computers, and the Hospital Status System.
- Input data accurately and completely into the Computer Aided Dispatch system for all requests for service.
- Demonstrates ability to successfully interrogate callers for incident location, patient and medical information, correct triage, and classification of medical complaints, and patient insurance information.
- Demonstrate efficient operations and extensive knowledge of all equipment including but not limited to communication consoles, radio system, recording system, paging system, CAD system, and Millennium system.
- Creates positive internal and external customer experiences with EMS Agencies, area hospitals, clinics, allied organizations
- Effective application of system status management. Follow appropriately and consistently the Status plan and make appropriate recommendations for system enhancement.
- Demonstrates a calm, professional demeanor during periods of high volume or unusual events during all communications.
- Assist responding units with routing instructions to scenes when necessary, relay efficiently and accurately utilizing all map resources.
- Report failure of Communication Center equipment to the Communications Supervisor in a timely and appropriate manner.
- Attend scheduled Dispatch meeting and training sessions.
- Displays a customer comes first attitude.
- Acts with integrity, honesty, and skill to promote the departmental mission and values of AMR
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
- Adherence to and compliance with information systems security is everyone’s responsibility. It is the responsibility of every computer user to: Know and follow Information Systems security policies and procedures. Attend Information Systems security training, when offered. Report information systems security problems.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Skilled in reading and writing English.
- Ability to communicate clearly on the radio and telephone.
- Ability to function effectively in stressful situations.
- Working knowledge of Operations and Communications policies and procedures.
- Thorough knowledge of EMS and other public safety resources available in the area.
- Ability to plan and organize the activities of a unit.
- Ability to record, transmit, and report information accurately.
- Ability to efficiently utilize all equipment assigned to him/her.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to establish priorities.
- Possess good typing skills with speed and accuracy necessary to efficiently process emergency and nonemergency calls.
- Ability to understand basic computer applications.
- Following training, ability to adequately implement concepts of Emergency Medical Dispatcher.
- Must meet minimal competency scores on exams designed to measure proficiency in spelling, grammar, clerical skills, EMS knowledge, computer skills, typing, recall and other telecommunicator skills.
- Can have no emotional, mental, nervous, organic, or functional disorder likely to interfere with managing stressful emergency medical calls.
- Has visual acuity of at least 20/40 (Snellen) in each eye, with corrective lenses and a field of vision in the horizontal meridian not less than a total of 140 degrees. Ability to distinguish the colors on the computer screen and maps.
- Hearing must be adequate in the better ear for conversational tones without the use of hearing aids.
- The employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move 10 pounds up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, and the ability to adjust forces.
- Due to the unpredictability of the essential job functions, it is not always possible to guarantee break and/or meal period. Therefore, there may be no physical condition that would prohibit him/her from working twelve (12) hours without a meal or break period (except for restroom breaks).
Although the noise level in the work area is not at a high level, there are often multiple radio and traffic noises going on at the same time along with regular high-pitched beeping sounds and voices of co-workers handling calls.
- Employees are required to handle multiple tasks concerning emergency medical calls that are frequently life threatening or major health threatening to other individuals.
- Required tasks arise from spontaneous situations occurring most often without warning.
- Employees must interact with hostile and/or uncooperative individuals via telephone contact. They must interact with individuals who are confused and unclear.
- They must utilize the information they gather to make quick and accurate decisions regarding action needed.
- They must be able to take down information correctly under all types of adverse communications situations.
- Due to the unpredictability of this type of position, it is not always possible to guarantee meal and/or break periods.
- Due to the unpredictability of this type of position, the employee must be available for immediate recall in emergency or unusual situations and must be able to work extraordinary hours during times of disaster or threat of disaster.
- The Emergency Medical Dispatcher listens to customers and records accurate information. The EMD also deals with the various employees with different emotions including but not limited to dealing with customers who have billing issues
- High School Diploma or General Education Diploma
- Emergency Medical Dispatch Certification
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Type 35 WPM with 98% accuracy, and be familiar with data entry
- Free from color blindness.
- Hearing within normal limits.
- Demonstrate map reading skills.
- Possess strong communication skills.
- Experience working with computers and data entry.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to demonstrate accurate listening skills.
- Experience with dispatching
- Experience with customer service
- Prior dispatch experience with demonstrated proficiency in medical dispatch protocols, computerized dispatch systems, radio communications, and disaster procedures.
- Ability to perform in high stress environment.
- Proven ability to learn quickly
- Strong interpersonal skills, spoken and written
- Applies problem solving framework to identify and solve problems appropriately.
Global Medical Response and its family of companies including American Medical Response is an Equal Opportunity Employer including Veterans and Disabled