Delaware State University
Vacancy Announcement -- Dispatcher
Office of Public Safety
Apply online at www.desu.edu
Applications will be accepted until posiiton is filled
General Description of the Job
Under limited supervision, assists in the operation of the security function of the dispatch operations center, participates in employment and disciplinary decisions of student cadets. Note: Independent judgment is required in the application of procedures and policy.
- Answer multi-line telephone system for the emergency and non-emergency situations and direct calls appropriately; collects information for callers and verifies information for accuracy, and applications of crime or administrative elements of violations.
- Monitors and operates fire and security alarms computer systems, video surveillance equipment for the campus, assists Facilities in restoring system malfunctions;
- Performs crime analysis.
- Dispatch appropriate calls for service to available units.
- CAD system operation.
- Assist visitors, faculty, staff, student, parents, outside contractors, vendors with wide variety of problems, concerns, etc.
- Update appropriate manuals in the dispatch center (i.e. Standard Operating Procedures, Emergency Contacts, Warrant Files and other related manuals);
- Responsible for inventory of radios, computers, and other dispatch equipment.
- Responsible for general house keeping; briefs other staff on work assignments, adjusts work schedules and/or hours of operation;
- Receives requests for special security, parking or transit services and schedules appropriate personnel and equipment as required;
- Prepares written reports;
- Responds to inquiries and complaints;
- Checks for quality control;
- Responsible for scheduling other opening/closing of University facilities;
- Maintains liaison with representative of University units and external agencies;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The individual in this job must possess these skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that they can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- One year required customer service, public relations, human relations, interpersonal and verbal communications skills
- Basic computer skills
- The ability to communicate effectively and interact well with people of all ages and diverse backgrounds
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Education: Requires a minimum of high school diploma or GED
- Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Eligible for DELJIS, Enforcer (NCIC) certification
- Must pass a background investigation including driving record and criminal history.
- Good knowledge of felony and misdemeanor crime classification and categorization.
- Good knowledge and usage of basic grammar and sentence structure.
- Good knowledge of Public Safety operations
- Other preferences: Associate’s degree; One year experience is desired as a dispatcher.
The criteria for evaluation in this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the DSU Fundamentals
- Must agree to random and on demand drug testing as a condition employment.
- Goals and objectives for this position will be measured in a performance agreement and evaluation.
Note: The University reserves the right to change or reassign job duties as provided in policy and negotiated agreements.