Divisional Merchandise Manager (Sr. Director)- Men’s Apparel
J.C. Penney Company, Inc.
The DMM will provide merchandising leadership to a team of buyers based on company and divisional merchandise strategies including sourcing, inventory management and merchandising for assigned areas. They will support the company’s consumer-focused branding strategy to maximize enterprise sales and increase market share.
- Partners with Planning & Allocation Director and inventory planning to develop semi-annual merchandise plan to ensure inventory levels are controlled and managed in-season, ensure open to buy remains fluid and replenishment of wanted merchandise is achieved. Meets turnover and delivery objectives and reallocates resources within assigned lines as needed to provide the right merchandise to the customer.
- Approves assortment plans at the subdivision level for JCPenney stores.
- Sets direction for the development of competitive merchandise assortments for assigned lines, considering industry trends and competition and provides input for any exceptions to open to buy and financially reconciles across merchant teams.
- Integrates product development, sourcing, marketing and supply chain functions into the merchandising process.
- Provides leadership to buyers on strategies for developing and evaluating sources of supply by reviewing supplier performance and relationships.
- Leads overall financial performance of the Merchandising Action Team in achieving department performance objectives and budgets including sales and profit plans, salaries, expense, inventory, and merchandise cost account (P&L).
- Lead, build and inspire a best-in-class Merchandise Action Team.
- Partners with Planning & Allocation Director and inventory planning to oversee the development of the exit strategy for all assigned lines and ensures its effectiveness for profitable merchandise cleanup.
Core Competencies & Accomplishments:
- 12-15+ years of progressive merchandising experience
- Bachelor’s degree preffered; graduate degree desirable
- Knowledge of the elements that drive retail profitability
- Experience leading a team of 7+ direct reports
- Knowledge of product, sourcing, assortment optimization, business planning, market intelligence and supplier management
- Ability to build and develop a diverse and high-performing team
- Makes quick decisions, moves fast to make things happen with aggressive but realistic deadlines
- Ability to develop positive and inclusive relationships with cross-funcitonal teams across the company and within own team
At JCPenney, we share a passion for serving customers, supporting our communities and being the best retailer for all families. As a company founded on the Golden Rule, our success is rooted in the belief that we treat everyone the way we would want to be treated. At every touchpoint, customers discover stylish merchandise at incredible value from an extensive portfolio of private, exclusive and national brands. Reinforcing this shopping experience is the customer service and warrior spirit of approximately 98,000 associates across the globe, all driving toward the Company's mission to help customers find what they love for less time, money and effort.
Working at JCPenney means joining a dedicated team of associates who are encouraged to be uniquely themselves in a safe, caring and welcoming environment. It is a place where careers prosper, accomplishments are celebrated and diversity flourishes. It’s a place that’s meant for you.
Our corporate office, located within the exciting new development of Legacy West in Plano, Texas, supports JCPenney stores and supply chain facilities nationwide. We offer a competitive benefits package including medical/dental/vision, term life insurance, paid vacation/holidays, 401(k) Savings Plan with company match, and an associate discount on JCPenney merchandise. On-site campus amenities include health clinic, pharmacy, daycare and preschool, full cafeteria service, a 24-hour fitness center and free garage parking.
For more opportunities to join our team please visit our careers page.