REPORTS TO: Director of Infection Prevention & Control
Under the supervision of the Director of Infection Prevention & Control, the RN Patient Navigator provides clinical, educational, and administrative services to the Hepatitis C clients. This position works with the providers, clients, unity staff members, and external referrals to ensure care is available according to Unity Health Care's standard of care.
MAJOR DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Assist patients in understanding their diagnosis, treatment options, and the resources available.
- Serve as an essential link between patients and all other care providers.
- Works collaboratively with discharge planners at Unity and throughout the city to ensure patients are linked to care and other supports.
- Provides navigation and community linkages post release.
- Meets at least monthly with all patients diagnosed with Hepatitis C. Assists the patient in developing a plan of care relevant to Hepatitis C.
- Completes nurse assessment documentation for each encounter.
- Completes follow-up on appointments, x-rays, lab work, hospital visits, and ensures the information is accurately and promptly charted, as needed.
- Coordinates care with an infection disease physician.
- Report to the infection prevention specialist during regularly scheduled meetings, and as needed, to improve the delivery of services to clients. Maintain communication of all problems, challenges, and conflicts related to the job.
- Provides statistical data to the infection prevention specialist.
- Conducts chart audits on a monthly basis to assure that Unity is providing quality care.
- Develops and maintains a professional working relationship with clients.
- Participates in professional development opportunities.
- Attends departmental, health center, providers meetings and mandatory trainings and meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
· BSN preferred, current DC RN license
· Minimum of two years' experience of working with Hepatitis C patient preferred.
· Minimum of four years' experience in acute care, correctional health and/or ambulatory care setting.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
· Knowledge of DC community resources and services; ability to determine client needs related to social services.
· Experience in correctional environment, preferred.
· Ability to pass a background check.
· Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office and the ability to utilize various other computer programs.
The RN-Patient Navigator does not have direct reports. The position reports to the Director of Infection Prevention & Control.