Job Title: Dockworker - PT
Reports To: Operations Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Fontana, CA
Daylight is currently looking for a Dockworker to join our Family. Our Dockworkers successfully load and unload freight throughout the shift using a forklift or manually in a safe, efficient manner. Will perform work associated with warehousing and other related duties as assigned. Would have flexible scheduling availability to include first shift, evening shift, weekend, and some holidays. Dockworkers are critical members of the Daylight Transport Family; they help to accurately deliver our customer’s freight and help us be the fastest long-haul LTL in the industry.
- Load and unload freight on trailers using a motorized forklift, pallet jack or manually in compliance with state and federal DOT guidelines. Use various loading techniques, such as loading tight or cross loading.
- Transport self and/or freight continuously throughout the service center in a forklift on non-forgiving surfaces.
- Utilize Dock Yard Management System to consistently monitor freight shipment locations throughout the service center.
- Read and interpret shipping labels. Familiarity with, and in some cases ability to complete the various forms utilized in freight movement such as shipping orders, city stripping manifests, freight bills, overage/damage movement reports and exception forms.
- Hand load, rewrap or stack freight as necessary.
- Secure freight inside trailers using appropriate tools and supplies (e.g. pallets, straps, rope).
- Frequent contact with service center personnel; fast-pace and deadline oriented.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES - None
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE – High School diploma or General Education degree (GED) required. Minimum of one-year experience and/or training.
LANGUAGE SKILLS - Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers and other employees of the organization.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
REASONING ABILITY- Apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations. Must possess analytical skills and ability to think quickly.
OTHER SKILLS/QUALIFICATIONS - Computer literate, PC and mainframe; Previous forklift experience a plus, must be able to have a flexible work schedule in order to meet customer pickup and delivery schedules
PHYSICAL DEMANDS- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to speak or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work place environment is usually moderate to low.
Daylight Transport is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.