Seeking Driver/ Life Enrichment Assistant
Monday and Thursday 9:00am-5:00pm
Job Title: Driver
Position Summary: Drivers provide transportation services that enrich the lives of our residents. They are responsible for transporting residents in community vehicles for outings, appointments, and other scheduled activities. Drivers must demonstrate a caring, professional, and courteous demeanor at all times; obey laws and safety regulations; and ensure residents are safe and well cared for from the moment they leave the community until the moment they return. This position reports to the Life Enrichment Director and is part of the Life Enrichment team. Our Drivers understand the importance of time management, communication, and being patient and compassionate while interacting with residents. They value being able to provide our residents a safe and comfortable way to attend regular activities outside of our community.
Our Life Enrichment Department offers engaging activities and programs that encourage our residents to explore their interests and expand their horizons. Residents participate at their own pace and shine through dynamic activity involvement. They keep activities fresh and innovative, understanding that our communities thrive from the diversity and creativity of our residents. Our goal is to build programming that enhances our residents’ quality of life and is enjoyable and beneficial to their well-being.
Main Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide transportation to residents in the community bus, or other community vehicles, for appointments and errands, such as outings, medical appointments, shopping, banking, entertainment, or other scheduled activities and functions as directed by community leadership.
- Ensure the community vehicles are well cared for, clean and above all safe. Inspect and manage the routine maintenance of the vehicles (checking tires, rotation of tires, oil changes, brakes are in good order, etc.)
- Assist residents in and out of vehicle utilizing the wheelchair lift and/or stairs.
- Use appropriate procedures to assist residents to minimize the risk of injury or accident.
- Understand the medical needs of the resident and how best to assist the resident to and from the vehicle and in loading and unloading the resident.
- Assist residents with personal items (i.e. groceries, shopping bags, etc.), carry belongings, open and close doors, and load/unload walkers and wheelchairs.
- Assist with all other duties as assigned by the Life Enrichment Director.
At Waltonwood, we are all a part of a team who are here to serve the residents living in our communities. Our residents count on us every hour of every day. First and foremost, we expect our associates to have regular attendance; defined as being on time and present to all scheduled shifts, for the entire shift. Our associates need to value the importance of timeliness, punctuality, and dependability, and how the lack of these critical elements affects others in the workplace and the overall community operations. We expect all associates to be willing to lend a helping hand to co-workers, direct reports, and supervisors, whether it is one of their typical job responsibilities or not. This includes welcoming new associates and residents into the community and making them feel at home. Associates need to keep the best interests of the residents and other associates in mind, and be an active participant in accomplishing team, community, and company goals.
- Customer Focused – Dedicated to meeting and exceeding the needs of the customer by establishing and maintaining effective relationships as well as gaining trust and respect of customers.
- Time Management – Uses time effectively and efficiently, able to get more done in less time than others while not sacrificing quality. Has the ability to independently prioritize work activities.
- Empathetic and Compassionate – Genuinely cares about people, and is concerned with their well-being. Sympathetic to the plight of those less-fortunate. Has the ability to understand and feel what others are thinking/feeling.
- Work Ethic – Places value on hard work and achieving goals. Takes pride in work related activities, tasks and responsibilities. Acts professionally, respectfully, and is dedicated to work. Takes accountability and responsibility for their work and work related tasks.
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Must have a valid driver’s license with a clean and safe driving record (no points). CDL or Chauffeurs license preferred. May be required depending on the size of vehicle.
- Prior applicable experience driving large vehicles.
- Ability to drive the community bus or other vehicles, meeting all federal and state driving regulations and requirements.
- Prior experience working with the senior population involving safe transportation of seniors in wheelchairs preferred.
- Constant use of manual dexterity, auditory and visual skills and gross motor skills with frequent use of bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures.
- While performing the duties of the job, the associate is frequently exposed to heat/cold.
- Ability to reach, bend, twist, squat, kneel, push, and pull.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to perform repetitive movements including simple grasping, pushing, pulling, and fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting, with constant walking and standing.
- Ability to climb and maintain balance.