Early Childhood Education Assistant Instructor
ZooTampa is looking for a full-time Early Childhood Education Assistant Instructor to assist and support the classroom teacher in providing a healthy, safe, developmentally appropriate program and environment where children have the opportunity to develop social-emotional, language, intellectual and physical skills. We are a year round school, closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s.
Who We Are
ZooTampa at Lowry Park is one of the most popular zoos in the southeastern U.S., with over 1 million visitors annually. We have grown to what now encompasses 56 acres of naturalistic wildlife habitats in a lush, tropical garden setting with wide-ranging activities. The Zoo, accredited by Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), offers popular educational programming, fun recreational amenities, up-close animal encounters and engaging seasonal events for which it has won awards as one of the country’s most family-friendly zoos.
Our mission is to rescue, rehabilitate and care for animals; create exceptional personalized experiences that connect people with wildlife and each other in fun, immersive ways.
Our vision is that everyone we touch is motivated to join us in taking action to protect and preserve wildlife.
Join us and become a part of creating unforgettable natural connections!
Your day to day
- Model anti-bias practices and cultural sensitivity
- Communicate and engage with children at their eye level
- Coach in conflicts and problem solving
- Use and promote positive guidance techniques (PWPBS)
- Advance physical and intellectual competence of students
- Provide balance between child/teacher-initiated activities
- Conduct large and small group activities that encourages exploration and natural learning experiences indoors and outdoors
- Promote language and literacy development
- Supervise children at all times
- Understand and use positive behavior techniques that help each child to develop the ability to be self-disciplined
- Assist in implementing the weekly lesson plan
- Help create a positive learning environment and implement curriculum while developing a positive relationship with the students and their families
What are we looking for?
- High school diploma or equivalency required. AA/BA or above in Early Childhood Education/Child Developmentpreferred.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in a licensed child care setting
- Enrollment in 45 hour Department of Children training and or tests; within 90 days of employment. Achieve 45 hours within 1 year of employment as set for by the State of Florida.
- Current CPR and First Aid Card
- Active National Child Development Associate (CDA) preferred
- Minimum of 1 year experience in a licensed child care setting preferred
- Expectation to continue formal education training and stay current with developments in profession, minimum of 12 in-service hours annually.
Our ideal candidate must
- Have strong communication and organizational skills
- Be confident and articulate when challenged and able to act as a professional
- Be able to take initiative, produce work independently, and act on behalf of a team
- Be proficient with Microsoft Office and internet applications
- Be able to speak in front of groups of various sizes and ages
- Have the ability to establish positive and productive relationships with co-workers, children and families
- Be able to to use radio, telephone, and computer to communicate
- Be able to safely lift children up to thirty (30) pounds,bend, stoop, and kneel to children’s level, and stand for extended periods of time
Our Perks at ZooTampa
- Pet insurance
- Retirement 403(b) plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Free membership to the Zoo, MOSI, and the Florida Aquarium
- Free or discounted admission to many attractions in Florida
- Discounts on food, beverage, and merchandise
- Discounts on HART, AAA
- And so much more!
Equal Opportunity Employer & Drug-Free Workplace