Early Childhood Education Instructor – Program Coordinator
Job Code: 1230
Department: Early Childhood Education
Division: Social and Behavioral Sciences & Public Services
Reports to: Dean of Social and Behavioral Sciences & Public Services
Positions Supervised: Students
Location: Main Campus
Kansas City Kansas Community College is currently searching a full-time faculty member to provide high quality, learner-centered instruction for students enrolled in Early Childhood Education coursework at any Kansas City Kansas Community College (KCKCC) location while supporting the institution’s mission, vision, and strategic plan. This includes offering classes in different modalities such as on-ground classes, on-line classes and in blended formats.
Note: This position is also responsible for coordinating the Early Childhood Education program.
- Teach courses in the Early Childhood Education (ECED) program to a credit-hour equivalency for full-time faculty status
- Promote the program through recruitment activities such as responding to inquiries regarding the program and visiting local high schools as well as creating, maintaining and distributing program brochures
- Provide academic/vocational advisement to incoming and current students in the program
- Propose class schedules to the Dean for main campus and for the Leavenworth campus
- Establish internships for career majors
- Oversee the selection and ordering of textbooks for program courses
- Conduct Advisory Board meetings each semester
- Review applications for teaching positions within the program and recommend applicants for interviews as adjunct instructors
- Participate in interviews for teaching positions within the program
- Prepare and submit to the Dean, a budget proposal for the program
- Plan for the long-term needs of the program
- Prepare and submit all reports required by the Kansas State Department of Education
- Monitor the program curriculum and recommend necessary changes
- Review course syllabi and course descriptions contained in the college catalog and online for accuracy.
- Hold advisor board meetings each semester
- Participate in Division and Coordinator Meetings
- Serve as a mentor for all adjunct instructors teaching in the program
- Complete all program assessment activities
- Submit proposals for new courses and other curricular changes through the Dean to various bodies in a timely manner
- Conduct department meetings
- Serve on area Early Childhood Education related Advisory Boards to maintain a working relationship with potential employers for graduates
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean
Minimum Qualifications and/or Education
- Master’s degree in Early Childhood Education or a master’s degree in a related field with 18 graduate-level credit hours in Early Childhood Education
- Three to five (3-5) years teaching experience as an adjunct or full-time faculty member
Preferred Qualifications and/or Education
- Teaching experience an open enrollment, urban community college
- Experience with a Learning Management System such as Blackboard
- Experience in learner-centered pedagogy
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, talk, hear, walk, sit, and occasionally push or lift items up to 50 lbs. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be able to work a variable schedule/hour and at other KCKCC campuses if necessary, to meet operational needs. May require evening and weekend hours.
Pay grade level: N/A
Compensation: Is commensurate with education outlined in the collective bargaining contract
Employee category: Faculty
Position Type: Full-Time Faculty - 182
FLSA status: Exempt
- Read the job announcement carefully noting the minimum qualifications and required information. Note that information contained in your application materials will be used to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Make sure you complete/submit all the documents listed as required.
- During the application process, unofficial transcripts may be submitted. However, please note that upon selection for hire, you will be required to submit official transcripts.
- Ensure that your transcripts show that a degree was awarded or conferred if you are stating that it is your highest level of education completed. If you certify your level of education and it cannot be verified from your transcript(s), your application may not be referred to the selection committee.
- Foreign degrees are acceptable provided they have been translated and/or shown to have equivalency to a United States: Associate, Bachelor, Master, or Doctorate level degree.
- Documentation verifying completion of a degree, course work within a discipline, or other educational criteria should be electronically attached (uploaded) to your application.
- Three (3) professional references with phone number and email addresses are required.
- A college selection committee is responsible for application review and interviews. The final candidate(s) selected to be hired will be made by the hiring manager.
- Successful completion of a background check on all persons recommended for employment is required Individual hiring departments may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions as part of the applicant selection/hiring process.
***This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.