Early Childhood Teacher/Assistant Teacher
Michael-Ann Russell JCC
18900 NE 25th Ave
North Miami Beach, FL 33180
The person selected for this position will be responsible for planning and implementing a developmentally appropriate preschool curriculum, as well as the general supervision and management of a classroom of children between the ages of 2 months - 2 years (ITC) and 3 years - 4 years of age (ECD).
- Planning and implementing the daily program for the class in accordance with the policies and philosophy of the school, gearing the program to the needs of the individual child in the classroom.
- Setting up and preparing the learning environment; setting up interest centers and preparing needed materials, snacks and supplies in a team effort with other staff members. Cleaning up the materials and putting them away in an orderly fashion.
- Submitting a weekly comprehensive lesson plan that will be sent to parents via email.
- Preparing a portfolio for each child, containing his/her work, to be given to the child's parents at the end of the school year.
- Understand the developmental level of each child considering the cultural and socioeconomic background of each child. Be empathetic to home situations that affect behavior. Help each child reach his potential intellectually, socially, physically and emotionally. Help each child become aware of his role as an integral member of a group.
- Supervise children in own classroom and those in other classes when the groups are together or when the teacher is out of the room. Management of the children and guidance of the children is expected at all times.
- Wearing gloves, change diapers when required, change children's clothes after toileting accidents. Assist children in the bathroom.
- Give medication following school guidelines.
- Be responsible for the ordered arrangement, appearance, decor and learning environment of the classroom.
- Work cooperatively with the other teachers in a team teaching effort.
- Head teacher must meet as necessary with parents for conferences on their child's progress. Write reports pertaining to each child's levels of achievement. File reports in child's folder. Write up classroom incidents and parent contacts in notebook for a continuous record.
- Attend all staff meetings, whether supervisory or curriculum related, and recommended training programs and conferences. Membership is expected in the Central Agency for Jewish Education (CAJE), an organization that works for the improvement of early childhood education.
- Understanding the importance of and what must be treated as confidential. Treating all children and parents with dignity and respect.
- Assisting the ECD Director in explaining the program to visitors. Assisting the school in Parent-School relationships.
- Attend school-sponsored activities, as specified in the Teacher Agreement.
- Help with maintenance of the art room, categorizing the library, maintaining closets, sorting toys. Clean tables, sinks and floors when necessary. Help clean up dishes from cooking or snacks. Clean changing pads. Do clerical work and phoning when needed.
- Maintaining professional attitudes and loyalty to the school at all times.
- Communicating to the program coordinator or ECD Director, any incident, problem, concern, or happy occasion.
- Advising the ECD Director, and completing the proper report form for any incident or injury occurring while a child is in your care.
The person selected for this position must have met the requirements of the State licensing agency, as well as all requirements of the Michael-Ann Russell JCC, and be professionally prepared to be a teacher of young children. A knowledge of learning centers and their operation is imperative, plus a developmental philosophy of education for young children. The person must be able to plan curriculum appropriate for the age group and provide leadership and stability for program continuity. This person must have a warm and friendly personality, be mature and sensitive to the feelings and needs of others, and in agreement with our philosophy of discipline. It is necessary to be able to communicate and relate well with both children and adults. This person must be willing to fulfill responsibilities in accordance with the school's Teachers' Manual. This person must be able to run after and catch a child, and lift sixty (60) pounds, stand on feet for most of the day, bend, and sit on the floor.
The Michael-Ann Russell Jewish Community Center/Sanford L. Ziff Campus is dedicated to the enrichment of Jewish life and fosters the spiritual, emotional, and physical development of its individual members through all of life's stages and circumstances.