Agency Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the mission and philosophy of Neighborhood House as evidenced by compliance with all agency policies and procedures.
- Supports and ensures all applicable procedures are followed that attain and maintain compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Supports and facilitates positive interaction with others as evidenced by respect for others, a team-centered approach, an appreciation of a multicultural workplace, and maintenance of confidential information.
- Performs job duties (serves) in a way that supports Neighborhood House Values: Respect, Integrity, Service, and Education (R.I.S.E.).
- Exhibits sound stewardship by effectively managing financial resources, information resources, and physical resources to achieve the objectives of Neighborhood House.
- Exhibits regular and punctual attendance.
Job Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Understands the center's curriculum and is able to support the implementation of it in the assigned classroom.
- Assists, instructs, and/or leads, as assigned, the daily learning activities such as art, music, dramatic play and physical activities, with the aim to help children gain social/emotional skills, physical development, and cognitive/language skills.
- Assists the Lead Teacher in planning and implementing daily activity plans and consistently following the daily schedule; assumes responsibility for the development of these daily learning activities in the absence of the Lead Teacher.
- Participates in Metro United Way Excellence Academy, including any training, meetings, or mentoring.
- Maintains accurate daily attendance records, following the appropriate sign-in procedure.
- Completes weekly observations of children.
- Maintains a clear and respectful communication plan for all parents of children in the assigned classroom, including both oral and written communication.
- Assists the Lead Teacher in the provision of appropriate materials for the classroom, such as decorations, books, art supplies, toys, etc.
- Ensures that children are supervised at all times.
- Maintains positive, respectful relationships with children in the classroom that enhances the self-esteem of each child.
- Administers positive discipline when needed, according to the center's Positive Discipline policy.
- Implements behavior plans for children who do not respond appropriately to redirection, positive guidance, and logical/natural consequences.
- Supports the necessary activities of daily living with each child in the classroom. These activities may include but are not limited to, the following: using the restroom, diapering, feeding, hand washing, tooth brushing, and hair brushing.
- Understands licensing and STARS requirements for classroom and assists the Lead and Senior Teachers in maintaining compliance with regulations.
- Helps maintain cleanliness and order in the assigned classroom. Sanitizes toys/surfaces each day.
- Assists the Lead Teacher with the planning and posting of the weekly schedule as needed.
- Assists the Lead Teacher in mealtime activities, including serving meals or feeding children, removing waste, and washing/sanitizing surface areas.
- Participates in a minimum of 15 clock hours of assigned training annually and attend all staff meetings.
- Uses open, honest, direct, and constructive communication with coworkers, supervisor, and directors and encourages and supports co-workers in the same endeavor.
- Handles disputes with coworkers in a professional manner, including addressing the coworker respectfully first to find a solution, involving the Director only when a solution can not be found, and not talking about the issue with people who are not directly involved.
- Maintains confidentiality of program stakeholders, including children, family, and staff, at all times.
- Supervises assigned volunteers as applicable.
- Completes duties of the Senior or Lead Teacher in their absence.
- Other dutiesas assigned.
- This position requires a High School Diploma or GED or higher education level. A CDA andat least one year of paid childcare experience is required.
- The ideal candidate for this position will possess a gift for working with children, a positive disposition, a desire to work in a team setting, good time management skills, flexibility, and the ability to work with limited resources.
- Candidates will be required to pass an extensive background investigation before being hired and may be required to undergo drug testing.
- This position involves lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds, standing, sitting, stooping, squattings, running, and climbing stairs.