Editor/Designers curate, create, edit, produce and distribute content that engages audiences for Tribune Content Agency (TCA) and its clients across all digital and print channels. The ideal candidate must possess initiative, creativity, good news judgment, attention to detail, self-direction, the ability to multitask and meet deadlines and the ability and desire to work with a team. They should have or develop some combination of a strong command of the English language and a commitment to accuracy. They should have a basic understanding of digital trends, social media and audience metrics.
- Being fast and accurate: Always striving to provide readers with what we know, when we know it. Be transparent about sources of information.
- Employing creativity every day to conceive of stories, produce or secure visuals, get sources to cooperate, corroborate facts and present information to readers in the most relevant, interesting way
- Creating content that is strong on grammar, punctuation, clarity and accuracy
- Delivering on time with minimal to moderate supervision and editing
- Contributing story ideas several times a week, including identifying and following trends outside assigned beat or topic areas, and informing supervisors of possible story ideas arising from trends
- Conceiving, creating, editing, aggregating or producing various types of content. Depending on department, this may include videos, maps, timelines, multimedia, documents, graphics, photo galleries, gifs and social aggregations.
- Measuring performance of one’s own digital content through audience engagement metrics and working with audience team develop tactics and strategies to build audience
- Managing thedailymeal.com and theactivetimes.com websites: harness audience data to program, search for and request content, including photo and video, that is of interest to a national audience and maximizes engagement
- Editing articles and graphics for grammar, punctuation, clarity and accuracy.
- Monitoring wires and contributing sources, including other Tribune Publishing sites, for video or video opportunities on breaking news and developing stories.
- Striving to meet specific individual goals to be assigned on a regular basis by supervisor
- Ability to foster excellent communication with peers, supervisor(s), department and newsroom.
- Solid grasp of the rules of grammar, spelling, punctuation. Ability to write and edit accurately, with clarity, without bias.
- Familiarity with analytics and ability to translate data into tactics and strategies, including ability to use metrics from Chartbeat, Adobe Analytics, social and other tools.
- Knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and other social platforms and ability to develop/follow best practices for social.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and ability to research SEO and appropriately populate fields and headlines.
- Adherence to the TCA and editorial codes of ethics.
- Maintaining up-to-date skills on various digital platforms and keeping abreast of current events and newsmakers in news, sports and pop culture.
- Strong work ethic and entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to multi-task and perform in a fast-paced deadline driven environment.
- Ability to work independently when required while at the same time operate efficiently in a team dynamic
- Willingness to work evenings/weekends and irregular hours.