Perry County News
Tell City, Indiana
The Perry County News in Tell City, Indiana, is seeking an editor upon the retirement this spring of Editor Vince Luecke. The editor is responsible for the overall editorial direction of the twice-weekly newspaper and also serves as editor of the weekly Spencer County Journal-Democrat. The editor oversees a staff of news and sports writers, who provide the primary source of community news, features, sports and opinion for Perry and Spencer counties.
This full-time position is exempt and reports to the regional manager /publisher.
The Perry County News has a paid circulation of 4,500. The office is located in Tell City, the county seat of Perry County. Perry County is located along the Ohio River midway between Louisville, Ky., and Evansville. The newspaper is owned by Landmark Community Newspapers, LLC, which offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off benefits to full-time employees. The newspaper can be found online at www.perrycountynews.com.
- Degree in journalism with editorial background or equivalent experience
- At least three years' experience in print media with a working knowledge of the overall newspaper production process
- Understanding of journalistic ethics and legal/libel knowledge
- Solid news judgment, writing (hard news, opinion, and features), researching, editing and photography
- Excellent spelling, grammar, punctuation and accuracy plus a proficient knowledge of AP style is necessary
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines
- Proficiency in InDesign (page design skills), Adobe Photoshop and all Microsoft software preferred
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Management experience leading teams of co-workers preferred
- Availability to cover events that will occur on weekends and evenings
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver's license to cover assignments
- Plan weekly content, including assigning stories/photo shoots
- Write stories and editorials, edit copy, take photographs and paginate news and community pages
- Oversee and direct staff to provide the best quality stories while staying within set budget
- Provide adequate stories and photographs for each issue and special section
- Paginate special sections
- Help to prepare, implement and operate within an annual strategic plan to accomplish product and service improvement and grow audience
- Actively participate in various community functions and events. Take a leadership role in the community.
- Meet deadlines on a consistent basis
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER