The Editorial Assistant is responsible for providing editorial and administrative support to the Editorial Director and Executive Editor at Hachette Nashville. Hachette Nashville is comprised of three imprints—Faithwords, a publisher of the world’s best voices in the growing inspirational market; Center Street, an imprint publishing Nonfiction books in such categories as Conservative Political and Military; and Worthy, an inspirational adult and children’s book publisher specializing in Christian authors and bestselling nonfiction and fiction books.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write catalog, cover and promotional copy and prepare fact sheets.
- Read, evaluate, and report on manuscripts, proposals and other materials submitted for publication in a timely manner.
- Communicate with authors and agents about queries, payments, sales information, etc.
- Traffic editorial projects through Production, Copyediting, and Marketing, and secure appropriate approvals.
- Enter title data into proprietary databases system and track data throughout publishing process.
- Prepare pre-acquisition materials, including profit-and-loss statements.
- Draft rejection letters for materials submitted for publication.
- Coordinate meetings and events, including Sales Conference and Trade Shows.
- Perform administrative duties, including: photocopying, sorting mail, filing, directing/responding to phone calls, etc.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum of 1 year of publishing experience preferred (internships ok) or other editorial work experience.
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills, with a strong emphasis on detail.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Demonstrated interest in Christian and conservative publishing.
- Must demonstrate ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage time effectively while also ensuring accuracy of work through attention to detail in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Solid computer skills, including MS Word, Excel and databases.
- Polished communication skills (verbal & written) & interpersonal skills
- Proven ability to deliver timely, accurate work product and demonstrate good follow up and follow through.