DOING THE MOST GOOD
Do you want to use your skills and talents to make a lasting difference in the world? The Salvation Army is the fourth largest charity in the United States and is an international organization based on Biblical principles created to help people in need. We are mission-driven, diverse, collaborative, and focused on positive results for people. Join us in making a difference.
POSITION TITLE: Education Instructor
LOCATION/DEPT: Ray & Joan Kroc Corps Community Center
REPORTS to (TITLE): Family Life and Education Director
The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center of Chicago exists to express the mission and ministry of The Salvation Army through a safe, enriching and sacred environment where all individuals have access to opportunities to reach their physical, intellectual, social and spiritual potential. The Vision of the Chicago Kroc Center is to impact individuals, families and seniors of the Southside while building community, promoting excellence, motivating wellness, teaching character, and encouraging faith.
The Education Instructor must have proven skills and techniques and be able to effectively provide instruction in one or more of the areas that follow: Computers, English, Reading, Science Math, writing, GED, Vocational Training, etc. He or she will design instructional programs, and demonstrate expertise in the area they are providing instruction. As a result students will be able to display a developing knowledge base in the subject matter being presented.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide instruction in assigned subject/area.
- Write lesson plans.
- Create programs geared to individual and group needs.
- Instruct with sound principles and expert skills in the area of education.
- Teach and train, beginning through advanced levels, to diverse group of individuals, in the assigned area.
- Present lessons to both large and small groups with poise and enthusiasm.
- Provide individual guidelines for development in the area of education.
- Critique and give feedback to participants regarding their work, and performance level.
- Relate and communicate well with members, nonmembers, youth, adults and staff.
- Maintain a safe learning environment.
- Report all harmful problems with facilities to the proper supervisor.
- Know safety precautions needed, and ability to ensure compliance/adherence by all class members.
- Follow and ensure adherence to The Salvation Army Policies and Procedures.
- Maintain the Code of Ethics policy, which has been established for the Kroc Center.
- Recognize the spiritual need of individuals, which may require referral to the pastoral team.
- Perform other assignments/duties as directed.
- A Minimum of 4 years of college with a degree in Education or a related field of study.
- Certified in the area and/or the discipline being taught.
- Have proper credentials and/or certificates and/or license if required.
- 2 years or more of experience working with children and/or adults in a classroom environment.
- Experience with a computer based work environment and an excellent working knowledge of Word.
- Able to report to class promptly and prepared of instruction.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills, using diplomacy and good judgment.
- An understanding of child development and building assets in youth.
- An understanding of adult teaching and learning, if applicable.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of PC based working/learning environments.
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative and be a self-starter.
- An attention to detail.
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible in light of changing job situations/priorities.
- An ability to work with confidential material.
- A willingness to promote the mission of The Salvation Army.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
This position is required to do light to moderate physical work. In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the employee is regularly required to use equipment used in an instructional program. At times this employee is required to lift up to 40 pounds. The work environment for this position includes a classroom with a low to moderate noise level.
Position Ranking: Part-Time/Non-Exempt