Assist in preparation and management of classroom activities and administrative requirements. Work under general supervision of principal and immediate direction of certified teacher.
Education / Certification:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid Texas Educational Aide Certificate.
- Completion of at least two years of study at an institution of higher education (48 semester hours of college coursework); or have obtained, at minimum, an associate’s degree; or met a rigorous standard of quality and can demonstrate, through a formal state or local academic assessment knowledge or, and the ability to assist in instructing reading, writing, and math or knowledge or, and the ability to assist in instructing reading and writing readiness, and math readiness, as appropriate.
Special Knowledge / Skills:
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Knowledge of general office equipment.
Experience / Other Requirements:
- Some experience working with children.
Bilingual: Spanish preferred; At or near native fluency in speaking Spanish; read and write in Spanish.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Help teacher prepare instructional materials and classroom displays.
- Help maintain a neat and orderly classroom.
- Help with inventory, care, and maintenance of equipment.
- Help teacher keep administrative records and prepare required reports.
- Provide orientation and assistance to substitute teachers.
- Work with individual students or small groups to conduct instructional exercises assigned by teacher.
- Help supervise students throughout the school day, inside and outside the classroom. This includes lunchroom, bus, and playground duty.
- Keep teacher informed of special needs or problems of individual students.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Participate in staff development training programs, faculty meetings, and special events as assigned.
- Responsible for properly maintaining district records, adhering to all policies set forth by the district for records maintenance ad learning the records retention schedule for department records.
- Other duties as assigned.