The Electrical/Controls Design Engineer is responsible for the complete automation package design including control panel, PLC, and programming. This includes panel electrical schematics and layout drawings, P&IDs, PLC selection and programming using primarily AB Products, maintaining / modifying drawings in support of our standard offerings, develop controls narratives and assist with developing operating manuals.
- Experienced PLC programmer using primarily Allen Bradley products. Specifically Micrologix, Compact Logix, Contrologix, and SLC500. Capable of setting functionality and communication with customer controls systems such as DeviceNet, Modbus, Profibus and Ethernet.
- A BSEE or Associates Degree with additional work experience (ideal candidate will have “hands on” electrical experience)
- A minimum of five years demonstrated design experience.
- Knowledgeable of the NFPA 70 (Sect. 501)
- 3-phase systems motor control, VFD experience required
- Understanding of process controls and instrumentation and experience in troubleshooting instrumentation systems.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to support design team, and shop cooperation.
- Demonstrated proficiency with AutoCAD Electrical and Microsoft Office products.
- Extremely organized and detailed oriented.
- Knowledge of basic electricity and electrical circuits required.
- Ability to direct/supervise electrical subcontractors is preferred.
- Experience with Inventor is preferred.
- Programming PLCs - Micrologix, CompactLogix, and ControlLogix. Programming HMIs - PanelView Component and Panelview +. Capable of setting functionality and communication with customer controls systems such as DeviceNet, Modbus, Profibus and Ethernet.
- Responsible for control panel design and specification of PLCs and HMIs.
- Develop panel layouts drawings, schematics and BOMs for MRP system.
- Creating ladder logic diagrams for PLCs.
- Develop P&IDs, Controls Philosophy and Instrument/Valve Lists.
- Perform final acceptance testing / checkouts; point to point checkout of electrical and control systems.
- Selection of cable, cable trays, and conduit.
- Assist shop personnel by resolving any possible problems or discrepancies that occur during the manufacturing process, such as interferences between electrical and piping designs.
- Interface with customer to resolve discrepancies in specifications and drawings.
- Troubleshooting of field problems (fielding service questions from existing customer base, reps, and field service techs related to operation and troubleshooting of control panel problems).
- Monitor schedule and cost on jobs that he/she is assigned to.
- Review customer specifications and develop Automation package estimates for Sales and Aftermarket Parts.
- Field Service Trips (occasional for automation/control panel issues only).
- Assist in developing and maintain maintaining / modifying drawings in support of our standard offerings.
- Engineering Standards and tools.