Electrical Engineering Intern (Power Substations)
Job Summary of Roles and Responsibilities
POWER Engineers is currently seeking a talented electrical engineering student for a summer internship. Under the guidance of multiple experienced engineers, the successful candidate will be involved in all aspects of utility substation design. Responsibilities will include detail design of low to extra high voltage utility substations to include one-line diagrams, control and relaying schematics, wiring diagrams, SCADA, communications, conduit and cable sizing/routing, substation layout, etc. The position may also include performing design calculations in accordance with industry standards such as IEEE, NEC, NESC, etc., assisting senior engineers with QA/QC design checks and assisting design engineers with design efforts for electric utility substation physical and protection/control design.
- Pursuit of a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or electrical engineering technology from an accredited university.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Candidate is interested in consulting engineering and the electric utility industry.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work permanently in the U.S. without the need for work sponsorship
- Minimum of a 2.75 GPA
- Successful completion of junior level courses in power system analysis and/or power system protection is a plus.
- Attention to detail, time management, and organizational skills will be critical for successful completion of tasks.
- Prior internship and/or related engineering experience is a plus.
- Students who have passed or are scheduled to take the FE/EIT exam will be strongly considered for this position.
- Familiarity with design, drafting or engineering software such as MATHCAD, SOLIDWORKS, AUTOCAD, etc. as well as Microsoft Excel is beneficial.
At POWER Engineers, Inc. you can have a rewarding career on every level. In addition to challenging and meaningful work, you’ll have the chance to make a positive impact on the environment, participate in a range of diverse and unique initiatives, and find the support, coaching, and training it takes to advance your career. We encourage new ideas and fresh approaches and most importantly, we strive to be our clients’ first choice. These traits – and deep technical skill – account for our success.
Have fun, do good work, make money. As an employee-owned company, we strive to make POWER Engineers an appealing place to work, where we perform projects that we find challenging and in which we excel. We provide competitive compensation, a full benefit package, professional development, and an appealing work environment. POWER Engineers is a unique and fun engineering firm, which may be contradictory to some, but it works well for us.