ALEX – Alternative Experts, LLC (ALEX) was founded in 2007, and headquartered in Chantilly, Virginia. ALEX is an 8(a) woman-owned, award-winning and trusted solutions provider and partner. We provide scientific, technical and professional services, specializing in rapidly staffing and managing mission critical programs for both government and commercial organizations. We are the perfect fit for the future.
Job Title: Electrical Estimator
Location: Laurel, MD
ALEX Alternative Experts is now hiring an Electrical Estimator. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing accurate and timely electrical construction estimates from which competitive bids and proposals are provided to clients including General Contractors, Owners, Developers, and end-users. Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Receive new project documents, analyze their contents, and conceptually understand the project type of building and systems included.
- Understand key scope elements and major factors for award. Build relationships with subcontractors and vendors to accomplish estimates with accurate costs.
- Fulfill "Estimator" functions, including reading specs or RFP documents.
- Utilizing our LMPS software and the Final Estimate and Bid (FEB) excel file. Perform complete and accurate take-off.
- Review take-offs for accuracy.
- Fill in all raw take-off information in the estimate excel files.
- Collect all subcontractor and vendor bids, analyze scope and select carry amount.
- Develop preliminary estimate of other costs, supervision, and project control.
- Document and review bid assumptions with team to finalize bids.
- Follow the steps and protocols in Required Estimating Standards (RES).
- Attend job-walks; pre-bid meetings; collaborations and conferences with clients and design professionals.
- Identify, develop, and price value-engineered alternatives to plans and specifications
- Work from schematic drawings and narrative to develop complete and accurate pricing for design build and design assist pursuits.
- Draft scope letters, proposals and vendor solicitations.
- Support the education and development of junior personnel; on-going development and maintenance of computerized estimating programs and databases; congenial relations with clients and vendors.
- Integrate efforts with our electrical, special projects, and controls divisions to ensure a unified proposal.
- Work under deadline pressures in an efficient, composed and calm manner.
- Interact with customers and/or engineers to develop/negotiate design solutions that are cost effective or best value.
- Work alongside other estimators, project managers and project engineers on change-orders and cost-to-complete estimates of on-going projects.
- Additional duties as assigned by management.
- 3-5 years of estimating experience on commercial and industrial projects.
- Knowledge and proficiency with code requirements and basic electrical engineering calculations and ability to interpret electrical drawings.
- Ability to develop alternate design solutions and price alternates will excel in this role.
- Extensive experience with Excel, Word and any of the major computerized estimating programs
- Analytical, problem-solving mentality
- Team player, self-motivated, gets along well with supervisors, peers and subordinates
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Bachelor’s in Engineering, Construction Management, or other relevant field
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability. Applicants must be able to perform the essential functions of the job.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to allow employees to meet the essential functions of the job, unless those accommodations cause undue hardships on the employer. To request a reasonable accommodation, contact the Human Resources Department at HumanResources@alexinc.com.
Woman-Owned SBA 8(a) Certified Small Business
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Affirmative Action Employer
Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities are highly encouraged to apply