Prepare complete quantity electrical take-offs, analysis, estimate, and studies for all electrical system items incorporated in the assigned scope – from conceptual design through completed construction documents. Preliminary design work may be required to complete conceptual estimates. Equipment includes modular custom industrial HVAC and mechanical systems including power distribution for boiler, chilled water, compressed air, and related systems and equipment.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Attendance at work during regularly scheduled shifts and scheduled overtime is an essential duty. This includes but is not limited to being at the work station ready for work at the start of the shift.
- Consult with customers, vendors, sales representatives, customers' engineer, personnel in other departments and construction foremen to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Analyze blueprints, specifications, drawings and other documentation to prepare preliminary designs as well as time, cost, design, materials, and labor estimates of custom equipment.
- Prepare bid packs and scopes of work for use in selecting vendors or subcontractors.
- Confer with engineers, architects, owners, contractors and subcontractors on changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
- Develop and write scope of work for electrical projects
- Calculate material cost, equipment, and man hours needed for project estimates
- Low, Medium and High Voltage Electrical Power Systems: Generators, Power/Switchgear, Cabinets
- Prepare and assemble estimates and proposals for different contract types (lump sum, GMP, Cost Plus, etc.)
- Work together with operations staff and fellow estimators to ensure that general conditions and general requirements items are properly addressed in the estimate including, but not limited to, items such as heating/cooling, electrical, power and lighting, including estimating of electrical consumption
- Develop working relationships with local material suppliers and equipment vendors to solicit accurate and current pricing of lighting, distribution equipment, low, medium and high voltage systems, and miscellaneous material pricing.
- Communicate design and constructability issues to the project team in accordance with the project contract.
- Communicate the scope of work to personnel (internal and external)
- Create and estimate a scope of work both with and without project plans and specifications.
- May supervise Estimators, Estimating Assistants and/or Interns.
- Provide technical assistance for field, engineers and inside sales
- Proficient with commercial blueprint, schematic, and custom drawing interpretation
- Monitor job progression from estimation stage through completion
- Develop and write the scope of work
- Experience with AutoCAD, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Works in multitask in a fast paced, team environment
- Use independent judgment in preparing estimates used by sales personnel and management for purposes such as bidding on jobs, planning, organizing, and scheduling work.
- Review material and labor requirements to decide whether it is more cost-effective to produce or purchase components.
- Prepare and maintain a directory of preferred suppliers, contractors and subcontractors.
- Visit site and record information about access and availability of services such as water and electricity.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Active Listening - Ability to actively attend to, convey, and understand the comments and questions of others.
- Accuracy/Detail Oriented - Ability to perform work accurately and pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Communication - Ability to communicate effectively with others verbally and in writing.
- Problem Solving - Ability to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Judgment - The ability to be dependable and formulate a sound decision using the available information.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Bachelor degree in electrical engineering is required or the equivalent in electrical engineering design/estimating experience.
Experience: Two to four years related experience, candidates with experience in power distributions preferred.
Proficient with MS Office suite, Outlook or similar email software. Proficient with Autocad and/or Solidworks. Ability to quickly learn and utilize proprietary estimating software and any other software necessary.
Certificates & Licenses
Position requires the technical ability to understand the components and operation of a custom HVAC/mechanical system. Must be able to analyze technical specifications and ensure that the design and cost estimate is accurate.
Experience:Two to four years related experience, candidates with experience in power distributions preferred.