Electrical and Instrumentation Technician, (Geismar, Louisiana, U.S.A)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career while earning a competitive salary and great benefits.
The Electrical and Instrumentation (E&I) Technician role will report daily to the Instrument and/or Electrical Lead Technicians or Step-ups, who in turn reports to the Electrical and Instrumentation Supervisor. The Electrical and Instrumentation group as whole will report through the Electrical and Instrumentation Superintendent to the Maintenance Manager.
What you will do:
- Focus on either instrument/control or electrical responsibilities
- Participate in all site safety programs including behavioral based safety (SPEAR) and complies with all safety policies related to job task
- Participate in the site’s preventive maintenance program on the above listed instrument and electrical equipment and the ability to troubleshoot and maintain these systems through periodic calibrations
- Troubleshooting, repairs, and calibration of various technologies of pressure, temperature, flow, and level transmitters; as well as pneumatic/electronic controllers, control valves, positioners, analyzers, transducers, speed control loops, vibration systems, control wiring, and various other parts of process control loops
- Troubleshooting and repair of lighting systems, motors and motor starters (480V and 4160V), variable frequency drives, various conduit and wiring systems, switchgear and transformers (480, 4160V, and 15kV), protective relays, and critical voltage systems (battery and UPS)
- Install, commission, and acceptance test new I&E equipment/systems
- Make area and equipment inspections while collecting and recording equipment data per site procedures
- Install, maintain, and troubleshoot instrumentation, control systems, and electrical equipment in accordance with site and industry best practices
- Perform moderately complex repairs and maintenance using various software packages for advanced diagnostics when/if necessary
- Perform all work activity according to site’s electrical safety programs and procedures consistent with the NEC, NFPA codes, OSHA regulatory requirements and industry best practices
- Perform duties in all plant wide electrical shut downs for maintenance purposes
- Support contract employees on maintenance repairs and projects when needed
- Actively participates in training to other less senior E&I technicians
What you will bring:
- Minimum of High School or G.E.D. degree and participation in a formal apprenticeship program
- Formal Industrial I&E Technician Certification from an accredited training institution &/or License preferred
- 1+ years of experience in the industrial manufacturing electrical and instrumentation setting; chemical plant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree
- NCCER Certification is preferred
- Ability to perform basic mathematics, including fractions, decimals, and basic algebra
- Ability to use a computer or laptop
- Ability to manage multiple projects at one time
- Ability to perform work activities safely and with environmental soundness
- Able to read and interpret site procedures and OEM equipment manuals as required to troubleshoot, repair, and maintain E&I equipment
- Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics, Loop drawings, and P&ID’s as well as mark-up or create new when required
- Flexible, analytical, and detail oriented nature are attributes for this position
- Knowledge of electronic and electrical equipment from various manufacturers is preferred
- Experience working on large electrical and instrumentation infrastructure projects > $1 mm is preferred
- Experience with and working knowledge of high, medium, and low voltage industrial electrical systems is preferred
- Experience with and working knowledge of various instrumentation and analyzer technologies is preferred
- Experience with and working knowledge of electronic process control systems, including distributed control systems (DCS), and programmable logic controllers (PLC) is a plus
- Experience with a variety of test equipment and methods employed for testing and troubleshooting of electrical and instrumentation equipment is a plus
- Experience with and working knowledge of process systems and equipment is a plus
- Must be available to work extended work days as required
- Willingness to work extended hours, particularly during scheduled outages is required
- Willingness to participate on corporate teams and assist other locations (some travel required)
- Willingness to be on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and willingness to participate in weekend and holiday coverage is required
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. You may be required to undergo a background check and substance test in accordance with Nutrien policies. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter