Electrical ITS Design Engineer (PE I/II)
Privately held and employee-owned, HR Green is honored to be one of the nation’s longest operating engineering firms. Our firm continues to grow and develop at a high rate. We are currently seeking an Electrical Engineer to join our growing team in our Des Moines, IA office.
As part of our national firm, you will be a part of our Electrical Engineering team working on highway lighting and ITS projects. This opportunity will allow you to be the technical expert focused on our transportation business line and involved in multiple projects as the Lead Electrical Engineer across our company geography .
Are you an experienced Electrical Engineer looking for a new challenge? Do you have a passion for ITS and Smart City initiatives? Are you looking for a company with a growing market share and wide variety of projects to be the technical expert and go - to person? If so, apply now and let's get the conversation started!
Our comprehensive benefits program covers what you need: health/dental/vision insurance, 401K with company match, Paid Time Off, AND what you want: Educational Assistance, annual paid volunteering time, work-life balance scheduling options, and fitness program reimbursements. Professional development is woven into the fabric of HR Green as we offer flexible career path options, in-house training programs, and incentives for professional registrations and public speaking.
This position has significant career growth opportunities. Start your career at HR Green working with a Senior Electrical Engineer with 30+ years of experience and be a part of the growth of this group helping communities implement transformative smart technologies.
Please see below for a more detailed Job Description.
The Project Engineer acts as an authorized agent of the company and is responsible for delivering technically sound products that meet and exceed the needs of clients. The Candidate will make significant design decisions in cooperation with Project Managers on assigned projects, where applicable. They may be responsible for assisting with marketing, business development, project management and client communication on a limited and assigned basis. The Candidate will broaden our highway lighting / ITS capabilities in the Transportation Business Line while working with other business lines at HR Green to advance Smart City initiatives for our clients
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Uses professional judgment to independently complete engineering tasks within federal, state and local established criteria.
• Under the direction of the Project Manager, assigns and manages tasks and schedules to Staff Engineer (I/II) and non-exempt project team members.
• Ensures the accuracy of completed tasks through the use of established HR Green QA/QC processes established for each project.
• Completes major design tasks that meet the needs of internal and external customers.
• Monitors and pro-actively identifies or corrects technical, schedule or financial issues through effective communication with the Project Manager or other management staff.
• Assists the Client in bidding or contractor selection if authorized by the Project Manager.
• Monitors construction and supervises field personnel assigned to a task, data collection or a specific project.
• Responds to contractor questions and issues and prepares and issues project addenda as needed.
• Recommends and prepares change orders, if authorized by the Project Manager.
• May participate in preparation of engineering services proposals, including the calculation/estimation of time schedules and costs of the proposed work.
• Signs and seals engineering documents as an authorized representative of the company.
• Independently communicates on technical matters with the client.
• Demonstrated success in electrical designs involving street, highway, and site lighting
• Design electrical aspects of civil infrastructure projects including roadway lighting, ITS power and communication systems, and power distribution systems.
• Ability to evaluate the effectiveness of urban corridor traffic signal communication systems consisting of fiber optic and wireless interconnect systems,
• Experience in MicroStation and/or AutoCAD
• Experience with fiber optic and network communications
• Working knowledge of NFPA 70 National Electrical Code
• Previous experience with SKM, AGi32 and/or Visual
• Knowledge of ANSI/IES RP-8 Standard Practice for Roadway Lighting
• Knowledge of ANSI/IES RP-20 Lighting for Parking Facilities
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering, and be professionally licensed (P.E.) in one or more states in which HR Green, Inc. conducts business (or have the ability to obtain such registration within six months of employment). Must have received authorization from the Sector Leader (based on the Team Leaders assessment and recommendation) to act as an authorized agent of the company to sign engineering documents. Must have 4 years of design/engineering experience. Must have advanced knowledge of office automation, CADD and engineering automation tools.
Must possess strong technical verbal and technical writing skills, and be able to read technical literature and engineering plans.
Must be capable of correctly operating technical analysis equipment and computer equipment. Must possess strong analytical and problem solving skills, and be able to apply professional knowledge to the solution of both routine and non-routine tasks and engineering activities.
EXTENT OF AUTHORITY
Acts as an authorized agent of the company and signs engineering documents.
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHERS
This position may report to assigned Group Manager or Practice Leader and may complete work for multiple project managers. Responsible for providing mentoring to less-experienced staff members in order to elevate the overall talent level in the company and shows a willingness to help others meet critical deadlines.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Must hold current licensed Professional Engineer certification in his/her state of residence or have the ability to obtain such within six months of employment. The employee must be capable of driving/operating a motor vehicle for company business, and maintain a valid driver’s license in the state of residence.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed primarily in an office environment, requiring the use of office equipment. Equipment includes, but is not limited to, computer, telephone, fax machine, copier, printer, etc. The noise level in the office is moderate. While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk and hear. Must frequently orally convey detailed or important information, instructions or ideas intelligently, accurately and quickly. Able to hear and understand average or normal conversations. Average, ordinary visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents, products or see computer screen.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
Electrical ITS Design Engineer (PE I/II)