Electrical Test Engineer
JOIN THE TEAM THAT’S POWERING PROGRESS
Building cities. Driving commerce. Saving lives. For over 100 years, Allison Transmission has powered the vehicles and technology that move our world forward.
What powers us? Our employees. From the first person hired by James Allison in 1915 to the thousands across the globe who work for Allison today, we’re driving progress everywhere because we employ top talent worldwide.
This is an exciting opportunity in Auburn Hills, MI for an Electrical Test Engineer.
Learn more about this role and how you can begin driving your career forward!
Allison Transmission, the world's largest manufacturer of fully automatic transmissions for medium-and heavy-duty commercial vehicles, is seeking to fill an Electrical Test Engineer position within its growing Electric Vehicle Engineering team. An engineer in this position will be a key contributor in planning, managing, developing and oversight of the execution of electric propulsion level testing. Work involves testing/troubleshooting various electrical components, electric axle systems, CAN bus data interfacing, and controls software. This person will be responsible for configuring test units, data collection & analysis, test reports and working closely on a daily basis as an interface between Product Engineers and Test Technicians. The successful candidate must be self-directed and capable of trade-off decision making to deliver high quality test results on time and within budget, and maintain compliance with Allison processes and procedures. As part of this, they will work closely with internal business partners to manage test programs. The role will provide opportunity for hands-on involvement with Allison products, industrial test equipment, test operating controls systems, and powertrain systems including input and output dynamometers, electric axle systems, battery pack and emulators, voltage invertors, and high voltage systems. Significant electrical content exists. This person will share knowledge, assist and train other engineers by a team approach in all projects.
- Basic understanding of powertrain and electric propulsion systems
- Utilization of a systems engineering approach to design, develop, implement, and execute reliable, repeatable testing in support of business needs and timing
- Contribute to department continuous improvement activities to increase testing efficiency, reduce cost, and drive high levels of quality
- Assumes appropriate responsibilities as a member of the assigned product development teams
- Participates in planning and/or status meetings
- Promotes teamwork on all work related assignments
- Maintains willingness to share professional knowledge and experience with teammates.
- Plans, manages, and oversees the execution of product tests
- Creating, managing, and delivering multiple projects on time and to budget
- Assures facilities and support areas are informed, equipped, and prepared to match the flow of test needs
- Issues the appropriate instructional documents (work requests) as required to initiate and support the test flow
- Has basic understanding of CAN bus interface with control systems and electrical products to provide diagnostics, data, and control to the electrical axle systems
- Assists in gathering, and performs analysis of test data to ensure its validity
- Has basic understanding of computer programming to modify durability test cycles
- Documents test events/results through Test Reports, log entries and database entries as appropriate
- Prepares, or assists in preparation of program bids or requests for cost estimates
- Observes applicable procedures and practices as delineated in Test Operations Manual, PE Procedures, and Standard Procedures
- Manages, monitors, and assists in assembly process of test units and disposition of parts
- Working with a high level of independent judgment and decision-making
- Adheres to and strives to improve the engineering development process
- Establishes and updates best practices and standardized testing procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent degree or equivalent experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of 3 years of Electrical Engineering experience
- Proficient in oral and written business communication
- High level of interpersonal skills
- Ability to set and meet goals for all deliverables
- Basic mechanical aptitude
- Basic electrical system understanding
- Proficiency with computer operations, including Microsoft Office tools
- Proficiency in electrical measurement and DAQ tools
- Experience in troubleshooting issues with low voltage and high voltage electrical systems
- Knowledge of automotive and commercial vehicle electrical component test standards
- Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings and electric circuit diagrams
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in laboratory test environment
- Basic knowledge of integrated electric and mechanical systems (including DC permanent magnet motors, 600+ voltage supply and inverters, battery systems and emulators), controls (electrical), electric machines, and hybrid and electrified propulsion systems desired
- Basic understanding of computer programming in order to write & modify test cycles and support data analysis efforts
- Knowledge of fundamentals of serial communication protocols such as CAN and J1939 standard will be useful
- Experience in CAN based automotive diagnostic and calibration tools such as Vector CANalyzer/CANape will be an added advantage
- High voltage experience and safety awareness
- Troubleshooting experience in electronic controls, mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical systems
Allison Transmission is an equal opportunity employer. We have opportunities for all qualified applicants regardless of age, race, color, sex, religion, creed, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status.
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran requiring assistance and/or reasonable accommodations reviewing any of the careers information, please contact us at 317-242-5000.
Auburn Hills, MI