What Your Job Will Be Like
For Sandia internal applicants, this is a backfill position and this position is promotion eligible.
We are seeking an Electromechanical Technologist to join our dynamic team!
This position will support critical programs contributing to national security with a wide range of roles and responsibilities for a talented individual. The individual will perform a wide variety of duties to assist the Engineering Services Test Assembly team with the operation and execution of assembly, disassembly and testing for electromechanical components, systems, subsystems and assemblies.
The individual will be responsible for assisting in the development and refinement of test assemblies and testing operations on weapon systems following protocols and procedures which are jointly with our systems engineering customers. The individual will be responsible for the actual hands-on activity level work defined in the procedures. Test Assemblies can be complex and contain a wide variety of hazards including radioactive, pressurized, and/or explosive components. The successful candidate will be trained on specific handling and test equipment and will require additional ES&H courses to work with potentially hazardous items.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Assemble, disassemble, and provide test support for ground and flight test units
- Serve as the facilities infrastructure POC to ensure that test facilities are maintained in operational ready status
- Construct, troubleshoot, calibrate, adjust, test, and maintain equipment, components, devices, or systems
- Use blueprints, schematics, and test procedures to implement assembly and testing activities
- Travel to various DOD, DOE and defense contract firms to provide technical support for testing, logistics and assembly
- Work in a laboratory/assembly facility monitoring experiments and making and recording observations
- Prepare information for scientific and engineering reports and publication
Qualifications We Require
- Requires high school diploma plus three or more years of related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Some travel & off site work at other DOE & DOD locations is required.
- Active DOE Q level Security Clearance
*Selected applicants will be required to take a Job Placement Assessment before beginning the job to ensure that they can perform the essential physical requirements, with or without accommodations.
Qualifications We Desire
- Technical degree in relevant discipline
- Experience reading & interpreting assembly manuals, engineering drawings, established work planning processes, and ES&H guidelines.
- Experience with specialized tooling and material handling equipment, common electrical hazards, & safeguards, as well as experience with basic hand and power tools.
- Ability to work well in a team focused environment
- Possess the ability to work in a semi-autonomous, self-directed manner
- Experience with Nuclear Weapons component design, testing or manufacturing.
- Familiar with working in a secure facility
About Our Team
Engineering Services includes the machine shop, inspection, Test Assembly High Bay, Calibration, Environmental Testing Facility, Additive Manufacturing Lab, and the Electronic Prototype Lab.
Our customer and collaboration network is widely varied and includes much work in support of the nations’ national defense mission. The group is composed of a highly functioning group of engineers and technologists who collaborate with stakeholders and customers to bring safe timely solutions to challenging design and fabrication projects and assignments.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q security clearance to start, or equivalent active security clearance with another U.S. government agency (e.g., DOD). Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.