VT Group is a leading technology integrator with close to 50 years’ experience delivering technology and C4ISR solutions to solve the complex challenges faced by our government and commercial customers in the Defense and National Security markets. VT Group is seeking an Electronic Technician 3 located in Virginia Beach, Virginia.
The Electronic Technician 3 works on a team supporting cabling, equipment, and C5ISR system installations. The Electronic Technician 3 is responsible for fabrication and assembly of various electromechanical and electronic assemblies typically located on a ship, submarine or other military installations. This position must gather and maintain specified records of data such as tests, drawings, diagrams, etc.; analyzes and interprets data; plots data and draws simple sketches; follows blueprints, guidelines, and/or diagrams to complete tasks. Performs one or a combination of such duties such as assembling or installing equipment or parts requiring simple wiring, soldering, or connecting. Familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures with the field of shipboard/submarine electronics repair, fabrication, and installation. Relies on experience and judgement to perform the functions of this job. Works under guidance of supervision or lead technicians, where work is reviewed. Typically reports to a lead, supervisor or manager.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Performs tasks which require mainly physical abilities and effort. The following tasks are typical of this occupation but not limited to the below:
- Uses power tools
- Moves and unpacks equipment
- Reads blueprints, wiring diagrams, and other technical documents, process sheets, and assembly and schematic drawings.
- Discusses standard layout and assembly procedures and problems with senior level technicians. May draw sketches to clarify design details and functional criteria of electronic units.
- Recommends changes in circuitry or installation specifications to simplify assembly and maintenance to supervisor.
- Analyses and interprets data
- Checks functioning of newly installed equipment to evaluate system performance under actual operating conditions with supervisor.
- Aligns, assembles and installs electronics equipment such as cables, cableways, connectors and ducts. Routes, laces and attaches wires and connectors to power supply sources, switch panels, or junction boxes.
- Attaches hardware and seals assembly.
- Assembly and disassembly of multi-cable transits (MCTs) and cableways
- Soldering with low voltage devices and coaxial connectors
- Uses electronic test equipment to locate defects, measure performance, determine need for adjustment, and verify specified operation.
- Enters information on production records, logs, and other report forms.
May also preform duties such as:
- Loads and unloads trucks and other conveyances
- Paints small areas as needed
- Stacks materials for storage
- Moves heavy pieces of office and shipboard furniture, machinery and equipment
- Housekeeping practices as required by the location
Education and/or Experience
- Must have one of the following: Associate’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electronics Technology, Information Technology, Class A Military school in electronics communications, IT specialist title in US military, two (2) year electronics apprentice program, two (2) year contractor apprenticeship that included at least six months of formal classroom training that addressed electrical theory and/or other disciplines related to C4ISR installations.
- Four (4) years’ directly related experience working on DoD C4ISR installations with at least two (2) years of experience working on shipboard installation environment to include: electronics repair, maintenance, installation and checkout.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Based on the work location, the position may require the obtainment of certifications such as a Man Aloft Certification, Cableway Certification, Cableway Inspector Certification, Multi-pin Connector Certification, Fiber Optic Connector Certification, Shipyard Competent Person Certification or CPR Certification.
- KITCO, multipin and fiber optic connector certifications are preferred but not necessarily needed at the time of hire.
- Must be able obtain and maintain a secret level clearance. Secret clearance preferred.
Other Qualifications and Requirements
- Must be able to travel as required.
- Must be able to on occasion work times of 2nd and 3rd shifts and overtime as needed
- If required to drive, must have valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work in or with:
- Extreme temperatures
- Confined and or dark spaces
- Operate small/power tools
- Familiar with NAVSEA Standard items and procedures